Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Any fans of BLADE RUNNER out there? A few versions of it exist. I saw THE FINAL CUT yesterday. Was DECKARD A REPLICANT?

Any fans of BLADE RUNNER out there? A few versions of it exist. I saw THE FINAL CUT yesterday. Was DECKARD A REPLICANT?

Based on a story by Philip K. Dick written in 1968 "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" the movie was made in 1982 and set in Los Angeles 2019. Among the STARS of the movie is THE BRADBURY BUILDING in downtown Los Angeles which I've been in a few times many decades ago.

As to my question. Allegedly Harrison Ford believes Deckard is a human. The Director Ridley Scott believes he is a replicant. The author leaves it to the reader to decide.

Of course that it is set in Los Angeles in a "future time" which is now our past made it very appealing to me to watch. It is an unsettling movie on many levels not the least of which is the incredibly enormous number of jammed humans living there. Overpopulation. Teeming with humans and replicants. Too crowded to provide any quality of life. Filmed darkly. Dark is depressing. The film is too from my point of view. Had I seen it in 1982 it would have been experienced differently. How I don't know. Glad I saw it. Thought-provoking and puzzling. Just like life.

Posted - August 1, 2021

Responses

Wow Rosie! Your smart:) I love Bladerunner so much. I ran to the theatre in 1992 to see the original uncut one!
    Oh my moron. I love the soundtrack though. Love it. I just have to add. This is about 152 minutes of bliss.
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at August 1, 2021 5:30 AM MDT
      August 1, 2021 5:22 AM MDT

Thanks m'dear for your post. So do you think Deckard was human or a high level replicant? Happy Sunday to thee and thine CW! :)
      August 1, 2021 5:31 AM MDT

Human. Too many human quirks. But, you never know these days. Did you hear with AI, that they can build something smarter than Einstein and The Goddard Space Center put together?..How does it feel..to live in fear...to know that you are going to die..
    What's her name Rosie. Good one huh? Trivia time?
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at August 1, 2021 6:51 AM MDT
      August 1, 2021 5:38 AM MDT

Something smarter than Einstein is named ROSIE? I shall Google it m'dear. Thank you for the head's up. Now my name is ROSEMARIE but I've been called ROSIE for at least 5 decades! Off I go to GOOGLE! :) Thanks again my friend! Thanks again!
      August 1, 2021 6:52 AM MDT

You're so cool Rosie. Thank God for women!
      August 1, 2021 6:47 PM MDT

"Cool"? ME? I think that's a first CW. I cannot ever remember anyone saying that to me! So thank you for being the first! And also you appreciate us gals do you? Well we appreciate you too! It's a two-way street ideally m'dear. Mutual appreciation! Nothing like it! Thank you for your reply CW and Happy Monday to you and yours! :)
      August 2, 2021 1:47 AM MDT