Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Any estimate about the number of galaxies in the w-h-o-l-e Universe? (NOT in the o-b-s-e-r-v-a-b-l-e Universe only)

Any estimate about the number of galaxies in the w-h-o-l-e Universe? (NOT in the o-b-s-e-r-v-a-b-l-e Universe only)

Hello,

According to a recent estimate, there would be about 2 trillion galaxies in the observable Universe. How many would there be in the whole Universe?

Thank you.

Posted - October 30, 2016

Responses

Hello a:

They SAY there are more galaxies in the Universe than there are grains of sand on every beach and every desert on the planet..  That's a lotta galaxies.

excon
      October 30, 2016 8:53 AM MDT

Is space infinite?  If so then there would be room for infinite galaxies. 

Billions.. trillions of planets where life could exist. 
      October 30, 2016 9:01 AM MDT

I always felt that the universe could also be infinite inwards, or towards the microscopic direction. That means you may have infinite galaxies inside of YOU. Keep in mind that a grain of common sand contains enough nuclear power to run an electrical generating plant for a while. (we use uranium as a basis to power nuke plants because it is more potent and less costly) 
      October 30, 2016 9:26 AM MDT

if we were to say that were only so many, 
    we will have put a box around life and existence.
    And say there is only this much,
    or that it ends at a certain point.
    IMO there is no end
    it is life 
    it is existence

October 30, 2016 9:39 AM MDT

Thanks for sharing, everyone.
      October 31, 2016 3:12 PM MDT
  • Bez

About 5 quadrillion.
      October 31, 2016 3:21 PM MDT

Close enough.
      November 1, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

Just a wild guess. Lol:)
      November 1, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

W-h-a-t
    is up with this hypen idea? 

How many galaxies exist in the universe?

The most current estimates guess that there are 100 to 200 billion galaxies in the Universe, each of which has hundreds of billions of stars. A recent German supercomputer simulation put that number even higher: 500 billion.
      November 1, 2016 12:43 PM MDT

Hello!

I hyphenated in the title because I technically could not underline the words I wished to underline. I hyphenated instead (and I'm not the first one to do it online).

The most recent estimate of the number of galaxies in the observable Universe is about 2 trillion galaxies:

"Subsequent sensitive observations such as Hubble's Ultra Deep Field revealed a myriad of faint galaxies. This led to an estimate that the observable universe contained about 200 billion galaxies.The new research shows that this estimate is at least 10 times too low."

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/hubble-reveals-observable-universe-contains-10-times-more-galaxies-than-previously-thought
    But this is not about the whole Universe.
      November 1, 2016 1:39 PM MDT

• You can do that in the text box.  Just click on the U that has the line under it. 
      November 1, 2016 1:43 PM MDT

I cannot edit the title, there's is no U for it unlike for the description.
      November 1, 2016 1:48 PM MDT

wow  Thanks for answering.   Isn't it impossible to fathom? 

I think they are making this all up.  They don't know anyway.  There may be half that or 6 times that. 
    But it is BIGGGGGGG
      November 1, 2016 1:53 PM MDT

• Ok.  I guess next time you can write it to where what you want underlined would show in the description.  As to answering this,  if the astrophysists don't know,  I won't even hazard to guess.  :)
      November 1, 2016 1:53 PM MDT