Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The "argument" is Congress never asked for any other president's tax returns. Why? Because they didn't have to request them. Why?

The "argument" is Congress never asked for any other president's tax returns. Why? Because they didn't have to request them. Why?

Because all presidential candidates PROVIDED THEM.

See the degree of STUPID DUMB?

The argument has zero merit since it has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Why would you request what you already were given WITHOUT REQUESTING THEM?

Well that's the level of STUPID DUMB "thinking". Sadly millions will buy it. And so it goes. STUPID DUMB reigns forever.

Posted - August 4, 2021

Responses

Yeah Trump is playing the victim again but in reality he is never the victim he is always the crime. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at August 4, 2021 1:55 PM MDT
      August 4, 2021 8:14 AM MDT

• It's funny, when he's on the hot seat he whines about being treated so badly.  But he never has any problem telling other people they need to toughen up.
      August 4, 2021 8:16 AM MDT

:):):)
      August 4, 2021 8:41 AM MDT

Knock knock. 
    Who's there? 
    Donald Trump. 
    Donald Trump who? 
    No Donald Trump Boo Hoo. 
    Cheers!

August 4, 2021 9:00 AM MDT

:):):)
      August 4, 2021 10:23 AM MDT

"Never the victim. Always the crime!" Another nifty slogan for which I thank you bigly Nanoose! :)
      August 4, 2021 8:41 AM MDT

Whether you or anyone else agrees with it or not, the bottom line is that presidential candidates are not required by law to release their tax returns. Most do but they are not required to. Here's an article that you may find interesting because you're searching for facts. Or you may not find it interesting because you don't care about the facts. Only you know which one it is.

https://www.robertreeveslaw.com/blog/candidates-tax-returns/
      August 4, 2021 8:21 AM MDT

• They volunteer to show them because they want to be forthcoming with them .. or minimally don't want to appear as if they're not.  His business practices over the years have got him into financial trouble over and over again.  His tax returns would certainly not be in his favor either.
      August 4, 2021 9:59 AM MDT

You're missing the whole point. Trump's business practices aren't the topic. They have nothing to do with the fact that a President isn't required to release his tax returns whether Congress requests them or not.
      August 4, 2021 4:16 PM MDT

• They do for me.  If he lies or cheats on his taxes ... his moral character is an issue for me.  
      August 4, 2021 4:18 PM MDT

That's a personal choice but like it or not, the law is the law.
      August 4, 2021 4:21 PM MDT

• Funny how someone who doesn't have much respect for laws in general .. wants us to respect this one for him.
      August 4, 2021 4:23 PM MDT

He gets audited every year.  And he is not in jail...he is filing appropriately.  
    Does he take every write off available? Of course...so do I and everyone else I know. 
      August 4, 2021 5:48 PM MDT

Still missing the point.
      August 4, 2021 6:17 PM MDT

Congress (and the public) doesn't need to see them.
    Plus - It's actually a law that the IRS has to audit the tax returns of any individual, during their Presidency.
    You can thank Richard Nixon for that.

Nor does Congress have the power to demand any individual reveal their taxes, publicly.
    There is, however, a federal tax law that specifically states if the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee makes a written request for an individual’s tax returns - the Treasury secretary “shall furnish” those returns.
    The law also says those returns would be reviewed confidentially in an executive session. (my emphasis)

26 U.S. Code § 6103 - Confidentiality and disclosure of returns and return information | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)
      August 4, 2021 12:23 PM MDT

If I were running for office I would not release mine.   It never helps a candidate.  

It is just ammo for the other side.  

Candidate my2cents only paid X% of tax.  But her secretary and the average citizen pays XX% more of there income in taxes. 

Or candidate my2cents did not contribute very much of her income to charity compared to the average citizen. 

Nope, they would not get them.  And I would sure the fire out of anyone who leaked them or published them.  Law is quoted in Walt O'Reagun answer above. 

August 4, 2021 1:40 PM MDT

I just saw a photo of Trump with a  big pouty lip  because his taxes are being released he looked like a real Sad Sack. Trump is trying to fight it in  court and he is not just asking the Justice department to stop the release of his last tax returns he is asking them to permitlly ban all future tax return releases. Cheers!
      August 4, 2021 6:17 PM MDT