Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Family » When you were being raised, what was a household rule you disliked the most, and do you still think the same way about it?

When you were being raised, what was a household rule you disliked the most, and do you still think the same way about it?

Sometimes, with age and maturity, we can look back at things we misunderstood or disagreed with as a child and see it in a completely different light as an adult, especially if and when we’re now raising children ourselves. 

~

Posted - August 5, 2021

Responses

• We didn't have a lot of rules .. they mostly just involved being respectful to our parents.  That's certainly important .. but it was almost standoffish too.  They took more of a hands off way of raising us.  I was almost envious of kids whose parents were more on their case about things in general .. seemed more like they cared.

We were much more involved with our son.  He thought it was a pain when he was a kid .. but he appreciates it now and does the same with his son. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 5, 2021 10:20 PM MDT
      August 5, 2021 10:40 AM MDT

My dad had rules, but he didn’t have a whole lot of them and they pretty much made sense.  The only one that I didn’t think made a lot of sense when I was a kid was the rule about no cussing.  I didn’t understand what made some words inherently bad but others OK.  Now that I’m a parent, I understand it.  It would be really embarrassing to have my own kids cuss in front of adults, especially in front of my own parents or my in-laws, so my husband and I won’t allow it.
      August 5, 2021 11:16 AM MDT

I don't recall any rules that I would disagree with using today.
      August 5, 2021 1:17 PM MDT

Were there any of them that you disliked at the time?
    ~

August 5, 2021 10:47 PM MDT

Not really. Mom was fair. One rule we didn't mind is 'When the street lights come on, it's time to go home.' Exceptions: stay overs and any activity with an adult around. That rule was when we were youngsters.
      August 6, 2021 10:10 AM MDT

Having to do hours and hours of farm chores for a weekly allowance of about 50¢ or so. Today I would not touch a farm with a 6 furrow plow.
      August 5, 2021 10:19 PM MDT

August 6, 2021 10:12 AM MDT

Now that's performance! I googled the image, caption says Amish BOY driving 5 horses pulling a plow. A kid doing a man's work. But that was common. My dad did that kind of work growing up in Saskatchewan.
      August 6, 2021 10:23 AM MDT