Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Military » Should our soldiers have the freedom to REFUSE the COVID vaccine?

Should our soldiers have the freedom to REFUSE the COVID vaccine?

Hello:

When I was in the Navy, I received 17 different vaccines.  Nobody asked me.  Are things different now?  Should our soldiers be FREE to refuse the COVID vaccine??

excon

Posted - August 10, 2021

Responses

they need to take the vaccine to stop the spread of variant, bc right now, our world is struggling with COVID 19 variant.

August 10, 2021 11:41 AM MDT

Hello, shipmate. Yes, I think they should be required to get it. You know how crowded shipboard life is. We were required to take a smallpox vaccine in the 80s. There was no refusing it.
      August 10, 2021 1:29 PM MDT

Unless there's a health reason why they shouldn't be vaccinated, YES, they should be requited to do that.  
      August 10, 2021 2:07 PM MDT

Nobody should have that "freedom", which is not a freedom but a shirking of responsibility. Jeopardise your own health if you will, but callously risking infecting others isn't something you have a right to do - you chance depriving those you come into contact with of the first of their inalienable rights, LIFE.
      August 10, 2021 5:49 PM MDT

My philosophy is, the vaccine is free.  Now, if you don't get it, then get covid and die; don't expect any sympathy from me.  I say that is nature eliminating the stupid. This post was edited by ONeg-84 at September 14, 2021 9:48 PM MDT
      August 10, 2021 7:45 PM MDT

I actually agree with you. But I would apply the same sentiment to those who would get the vaccine at this point.
    However, I sympathize with anyone who looses a loved one or has a loved one harmed from either the disease or shots. 
    Freedom to decide your own healthcare choices should apply to everyone. 
      August 11, 2021 6:44 AM MDT

Absolutely. 

No one should be forced to take a shot with a known side effect is death or any of the other serious reactions listed as possible. 

This post was edited by my2cents at August 15, 2021 6:58 PM MDT
      August 10, 2021 8:19 PM MDT

That doesn't answer his question.
      August 11, 2021 5:58 AM MDT

Read again.  I did answer the question.

" Absolutely. 

No one should be forced to take a shot with a known side effect is death or any of the other serious reactions listed as possible."
      August 11, 2021 6:39 AM MDT

Military members do not have the same freedoms as civilians. Disobeying an order is a court martial offense. Soldiers don't have the right to refuse going into battle, which is much more dangerous than a vaccine.
      August 11, 2021 6:45 AM MDT

Question is about having the right to refuse a vaccine.  Everyone should have this right. Especially those who defend our rights.   

Most of whom are young men. Young men are the main ones who are suffering heart issues from the shots. There is more risk of heart issues than their risk from covid. 
    CDC only gives the heart stats as male's under 30.   
      August 11, 2021 7:18 AM MDT

Check out some of the vaccines and medical treatments that are required for service members, particularly if they go overseas. It varies, depending on where they're deployed or stationed. It goes way beyond vaccines and most definitely the US military has exposed their members to things that are almost certainly more harmful than vaccines (i.e., Agent Orange, radiation, chemicals of all sorts). 

People must carefully consider what their chosen career path and employer might require of them.  Soldiers/sailors/airmen/Marines should and DO have the right to refuse any vaccination, just as employees of hospitals, nursing homes, medical offices, paramedics, etc. have the right to refuse. If it is a condition of their employment, however, they're choosing to leave their job. The same goes for members of the military, government workers, etc. 

Legislation appears to be working to move more companies to require vaccination of employees. I don't think I favor it, but I continue to see deaths amongst the unvaccinated mostly, both reports and people I personally know. 
      September 17, 2021 7:41 PM MDT

No. I'm sure the contracts today's Armed Forces members signed when they enlisted or were commissioned includes the same basic rights and requirements as they did 40-50 years ago. As someone else said, service members' rights are not the same as when you're a civilian. Their options are to do what the government says or get out. Same as it's always been. 
      September 14, 2021 6:30 PM MDT

Even if the vaccine has the potential side effect of death (about 2 to 5 people per million vaccines and no proof that it was a direct result of the vaccine), military personnel sign up to risk their lives for their country and the miniscule risk of taking the vaccine should be part of that. People who don't take the vaccine should not have the freedom to infect others or use up limited healthcare resources. We all seemed to accept that second hand smoke is a public health risk and live with the restriction of our freedom to smoke in public, why do some think it's okay to allow this pandemic to go on and on because they have a smaller risk than they have of being struck by lightening. If it just affected the anti-vaxxers, I wouldn't care. I wish they would just stop whining and get the shot or else go live in a cave where they can't spread the virus.
      September 14, 2021 8:58 PM MDT

Two answers: no and absolutely not.
      September 14, 2021 9:50 PM MDT

They have been guinea pigs for worse.
      September 15, 2021 5:34 AM MDT