Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Do you use Automated teller machines (ATM's) that are located outdoors?

Do you use Automated teller machines (ATM's) that are located outdoors?

I used to use ATM's that are located outside a financial institution's building.  However, I learned that somebody could attach a device to the ATM and record a customer's ATM card number and PIN, using that information to withdraw money from the customer's accounts.  As such, I always use ATM's that are located inside a financial institution that are in full view of bank employees.  

Posted - August 10, 2021

Responses

I have done so. My bank has since installed a machine in their lobby and it is open 24/7.
      August 10, 2021 4:41 PM MDT

Yeah it is scary how easy tecnology can be used to ripe you off. I used to do all of my banking at the teller desk but the coronvirse change that and I had to start using the machines. Cheers!
      August 10, 2021 4:50 PM MDT

(ripe rip you off)
      (coronvirse Corona Virus)

August 10, 2021 6:19 PM MDT

What do you want for nothing. A rubber biscuit?
      August 10, 2021 6:48 PM MDT

How about some new material, eh?
      August 11, 2021 4:31 PM MDT

Try Wrigley Field there having a sale on new material huh.
      August 11, 2021 4:44 PM MDT

(there they’re having)

August 11, 2021 6:42 PM MDT

What do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit?
      August 11, 2021 7:19 PM MDT

How about some new material? You're too predictable and show no imagination.
      August 11, 2021 7:29 PM MDT

Nope no new material for you. And there are lots of people that don't think that I am predictable and  they  also think that I have lots of imagination. This post was edited by Nanoose at August 11, 2021 8:04 PM MDT
      August 11, 2021 7:44 PM MDT

Well good for you. Why don't you show Randy? This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at August 11, 2021 8:35 PM MDT
      August 11, 2021 8:17 PM MDT

I rarely use ATM'S at all since COVID. Cash transactions are few and far between.
      August 10, 2021 5:45 PM MDT

Every time you use an apostrophe to try to pluralize a word (or acronym) a puppy dies.  Don't do it.
      August 10, 2021 5:54 PM MDT

Te amo mucho. 

~

August 10, 2021 6:17 PM MDT

• "A puppy dies?"  I make mistakes because English is my second language
      August 11, 2021 4:26 PM MDT

One way for a person to find out that he or she is doing something incorrectly is to be informed by others. If they never know they’re incorrect, they’re much less likely to ever make decisions as to what to do about it. 

I have an unusually strong penchant to speak and write properly, correctly, effectively. That’s not only in my native English language, but in any and all languages that I know. If and when I err, which does happen just as often as many other non-native speakers, I always appreciate being informed of it so that I can steer toward more accurate use of the language. For years, there have been a myriad of foreign words, conjugations, expressions, idiomatic speech, etc. that I have said or written incorrectly without ever knowing I was wrong. I’m well aware that NUMEROUS people consider it rude, insensitive, demeaning, uncouth, bad manners to ever inform any person for any reason or in any situation to inform another that he or she said or wrote something incorrectly. I am of a different opinion on that, expressly based on what I stated above about speaking and writing correctly.  I would much rather know I am incorrect and be given the chance to decide than to sound or write as if I’m stupid or ignorant of the languages’ or worse yet, that I don’t care.

If I knew about my errors as soon as I commit them, I could have the opportunity to improve. It is a disservice to me to be left uninformed of them, because all I’ll do is repeat them.

None of what I’ve written here is an attempt to tell you how or what you should do when you’re informed that you’ve erred in your use of English. I merely want to present a differing perspective on the issue. I think it’s one thing for a person to have a ready explanation as to why his or her errors occur, it’s quite another to see if there’s growth based on information of a better way to do something.
    ~

August 11, 2021 7:01 PM MDT

You just learned another situation in which an apostrophe is disastrous. 
      August 12, 2021 1:16 PM MDT

Yes. I work during banking hours.  My banks atm will do everything I need. I will take cash as a deposit.  Used to they would never do that. Had to go during hours or buy a money order at the grocery store if you could not get there during their hours. 
    The atm is outside.
      August 10, 2021 7:50 PM MDT

If you're worried about that ... just try to pull off the card reader cover.

btw - they can do the same thing with any card reader.
    It's more common on gas pumps, than on ATMs.
      August 11, 2021 7:15 AM MDT

I got my card hacked at a gas pump a few years ago. My bank caught it and had the printout before I got there to report it.
      August 11, 2021 9:06 AM MDT

No.  I prefer to use ATMs that are inside.  
      August 11, 2021 8:56 AM MDT

I rarely use ATMs. The only things I pay cash for are haircuts and breakfast at my local diner. I get cash for those things from the indoor ATMs at the nearby Chase branch.
      August 11, 2021 4:35 PM MDT

I use ATMs that are outdoors, as well as indoors where possible; but I am careful to look at the machine first, hide my hand, etc.

The machines can be cheated but not secretly, and they carry a warning not to use them but report it if something looks wrong.
      August 12, 2021 3:45 PM MDT