Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The FLU changes from year to year. Each year we get FLU shots with NO BOOSTER being required. Why does COVID need BOOSTER shots?

The FLU changes from year to year. Each year we get FLU shots with NO BOOSTER being required. Why does COVID need BOOSTER shots?

Posted - August 18, 2021

Responses

Allegedly, the research out of Israel shows the original dual-dosage (Pfizer / Moderna) shots' effectiveness fades with time.
    Allegedly, the CDC has similar research that hasn't been released to the public yet.  (waiting for peer review?)

Of course, the UN and World Health Organization ... as well as many nations ... are decrying any call for booster shots.
    The reason is that much of the rest of the world has not had an opportunity for their first shots.
    And the US purchasing vaccines for boosters, reduces the numbers of vaccines available to those nations.

August 18, 2021 1:04 PM MDT

Is shot effectiveness never supposed to dwindle down to something less Walt? I just thought the yearly Flu shots were being given to combat A NEW STRAIN that the prior year formula wouldn't help. Apparently the  COVID SHOT efficacy fades a lot after six months and folks who got the shot early need BOOSTER SHOTS RIGHT NOW! We got ours April 8 (the J&J one dose) so by April 22 we were theoretically covered. They say booster shots after 8 months so sometime in December is when we would be due for that. Fortunately neither one of us has any immunodeficiency or anything else that would compromise us except our ages but well so far that is not an immuno deficiency. They simply do not know a heck of a lot more than they do know. Testing continues on to figure out what they have what works what doesn't work and why. Not an easy row to hoe these days. Thank you for your reply Walt! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 18, 2021 2:54 PM MDT
      August 18, 2021 1:39 PM MDT

I can understand boosters for people with weak immune systems.
    They need more of a "kickstart" to get their immune system producing the antibodies.

But I also guess it has something to do with those "weakening" vaccines being RNA-based.
      August 18, 2021 2:35 PM MDT

Yes perhaps that is the case m'dear. The J&J is a different kind of "animal" so to speak. We shall see how it all plays out eventually. In the meantime though it seems to me that there are so many moving parts we are not keeping track sufficiently. I know zero zip nada about it. Just what I see looking in. They don't a zillion things. They do know a few. I don't like that. When will they KNOW MORE than they don't know? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 19, 2021 2:39 AM MDT

Why? Because someone is making money off of this, big money, and they don't want to give it up. It's called "greed". 

Also, I haven't had a flu shot in over 50 years, and I also haven't gotten the flu. 

No, I'm not against vaccines, but if I don't need one, I won't get one. 

Anyone have any problems with that? 
      August 18, 2021 2:01 PM MDT

Yes I do. Your callous disregard for others is legion. You are one among many who don't give a rat's a** about others and you take great pride in it. To each his own. But not having a problem with folks like you could only be among those who are like you too. Whatever. Enjoy your life. Don't you worry about anyone else but yourself. The sun rises and falls only on you. Thanks for the reply. DID I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
      August 19, 2021 2:45 AM MDT

It's a good thing I don't live my life for you, isn't it. If I did, I'd be a very miserable person. But that's your problem, not mine, so you deal with it.
      August 19, 2021 5:53 PM MDT

Mainly because it really doesn't work like they say it does. Even with a vaccine, people can still get and transmit the virus. They say people who get the vaccine won't have as bad a time with the virus as the unvaxxed. HOGWASH! I know at least a dozen people who have had the virus and not the vaccine, ALL of them said it felt like they had a cold and were recovered enough within 3 days to actually get up and be a little active. Not one of them required hospitalization. One was elderly, overweight and a heavy smoker . 
      August 18, 2021 3:41 PM MDT

624,000 dead Americans disagree with you. And another 3.8m worldwide.
      August 19, 2021 3:33 AM MDT