Active Now

Randy D
Shuhak
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once a word or phrase is "coined" you hear it everywhere all the time endlessly. Like "24/7". Who is responsible for that?

Once a word or phrase is "coined" you hear it everywhere all the time endlessly. Like "24/7". Who is responsible for that?

Currently lately the coined phrase is "meet people where they are".

Copycats copycat and spread and talk and spread and talk and spread and talk everywhere that's anywhere you have to "meet people where they are"..

Remember "NOTHINGBURGER"

FAKE NEWS
LOCK HER UP

Etcetera etcetera etcetera. Are we so bereft of words that we must repeat copycat repeat copycat repeat copycat because we are not imaginative or creative or inventive enough to speak OUR OWN WORDS to fit the occasion AD LIB and appropriate?

I don't get it.

For those who like to "check things out for themselves" I refer you to definition 11. under COIN

To make, invent, fabricate as in "to coin an expression"

Posted - August 22, 2021

Responses

"Meet people where they are."  Where the heck else would you meet them?
      August 22, 2021 10:46 AM MDT

Good point.
      August 22, 2021 1:09 PM MDT

Exactly. I recently asked that question. Stating the obvious as if it were a miraculously intelligent thing? Weird. That's what "lowering the bar" leads to.  Thank you for your reply L! :)
      August 23, 2021 2:55 AM MDT

More than anyone I can think of, you are in the best position to answer your own question. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 23, 2021 2:57 AM MDT
      August 22, 2021 1:14 PM MDT

My goodness after years of silence you show up to insult. It's good to know some things never change.. Now shall I thank you for the insult? I don't know. I shall have to ponder upon it weighing being polite with being honest. I expect being HONEST will win.
      August 23, 2021 2:57 AM MDT

Who's responsible for that? I'd say the ones who constantly use the phrase 24/7. I've never been much for phrases. Too unoriginal. :)
      August 22, 2021 1:16 PM MDT

The Press is probably most to blame. It is lazy thinking and lazy writing
      August 22, 2021 4:26 PM MDT

Is that it? Riding coattails of others is being very lazy of course but it is done all the time all the time all the time. Which means it will be always be won't it? Human nature has a lazy side to it. Why bother doing if others will do for you? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply Durdle.
      August 23, 2021 1:50 AM MDT