Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Air conditioning too cold. Unnecessarily loud music. Too crowded. Blatantly unclean practices by staff members. No sandwiches on the menu.

Air conditioning too cold. Unnecessarily loud music. Too crowded. Blatantly unclean practices by staff members. No sandwiches on the menu.

Those are some of the items on my list. What’s on your list of things that keep an eating establishment from being enjoyable for you?
~

Posted - September 4, 2021

Responses

Small children being themselves.
    Loud music.
    At a Mexican restaurant we like, the tables are built for people over 6 feet tall. Very annoying.
    Bad food.
      September 4, 2021 9:03 AM MDT

-ceiling fan blowing on the table

-noisy children

-noisy adults

-too hot

-hand me a menu with food on it and I'm gone

-a bad odor

-if waiter touches the rim on my glass I feel I could go nuts on them.....I always point it out and request a fresh beverage. Notice....this is very common when they have to reach across a customer to get to you (like in a booth)

-condiments that need refrigeration at home, need refrigeration in a restaurant.  I will not use any of them unless they can accommodate me with to-go little packages.  example - ketchup

September 4, 2021 1:17 PM MDT

I utterly despise it when anyone reaches across a seated person for any reason whatsoever, but it’s especially egregious when wait staff does it. Whenever it happens, I always wonder whether or not basic manners were taught at home, or I wonder if members of wait staff assume that it’s not required of them to refrain from that particular act.

Why is it you’ll accept unrefrigerated condiment packs, yet you reject unrefrigerated condiments in bottles, jars, or other such containers?
    ~

September 4, 2021 9:50 PM MDT

They've never been opened. Once opened refrigeration is needed whether it's little packets or a big bottle.   Do you buy your condiments at the market from a refrigerator?
      September 5, 2021 8:47 AM MDT

Good point, makes perfect sense!
      ~

September 5, 2021 10:40 AM MDT

... a menu with food on it - unbelievable ... 
      September 5, 2021 3:43 PM MDT

Food stains.
    ~
      September 5, 2021 4:13 PM MDT

Exactly - a menu with food on it - unbelievable! This post was edited by Robert at September 6, 2021 1:59 PM MDT
      September 6, 2021 2:53 AM MDT

We went to the old fish house one night and the menu felt greasy and had something else on it.  We got up and left.  The woman who owned the place ran to the door and asked us if anything was wrong.  I told her I could not imagine coming back in there.  Soon after she sold the place.  It never was good again but a relative of hers opened a new fish house a little north of here.  So that's where we go for fish or shrimp now.  That family just knows how to cook seafood. 
      September 5, 2021 11:20 PM MDT

Having lots of customers complaining about the air conditioning, the music, the crowd, the staff, and the menu. Grrrrr.
      September 4, 2021 1:22 PM MDT

Lack of menu options, bad food, rude service, lack of cleanliness, too crowded/loud. 
      September 4, 2021 7:49 PM MDT

I think the most annoying thing a server ever did was shout “What are you having over there?” instead of walking over to the table to take the order.  I didn’t like yelling what I was having back across the room to the server.  Ugh, so rude. 

I think the restaurant that had the best service was Casa Bonita in Lakewood, Colorado.  They had flags on the table.  If you wanted something, you just raised the flag and the server came right over.  If you didn’t raise the flag, they pretty much just left you alone.

September 5, 2021 8:48 AM MDT

I order a cup of hot tea in a café.
    A cup of liquid tasting of hot water is served, with tea leaves floating majestically on the surface.

What to do!

I call the waitress back and explain how to brew a cup of tea.

A few minutes later a genuine cup of tea is served.

Who ought to render the bill (aka "check" in the U.S.) here: the café, or me (for the instruction)?

However, nothing could beat THIS: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdKSVCveIfA

This post was edited by Robert at September 5, 2021 5:32 PM MDT
      September 5, 2021 2:45 PM MDT