Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Interesting radio topic just now: those of you who are working, if you got fired tomorrow, what would be your first course of action?

Interesting radio topic just now: those of you who are working, if you got fired tomorrow, what would be your first course of action?

[~]

Posted - October 6, 2021

Responses

I'd take a long, long walk and focus on breathing.
      October 6, 2021 8:17 PM MDT

[~]

October 6, 2021 8:19 PM MDT

Yes!! Exactly!
      October 6, 2021 8:22 PM MDT

File for unfair dismissal, given that I'm on leave right now.
      October 6, 2021 9:01 PM MDT

Say, "YIPPEE!"  I'm only working because my boss of 30 years is winding down his practice and I will not leave him to someone else at this late date.  He's been very good to me and I will help him until the last box in his office is packed.

October 6, 2021 9:53 PM MDT

I plead my Rights under the First, Fourth, and Fifth Amendments.
      October 7, 2021 12:36 PM MDT

(Rights rights)

October 7, 2021 6:29 PM MDT

Merriam-Webster.com does not address the point, and Webster’s New World, fifth edition, lowercases civil rights movement, though noting that it is often capitalized.
      October 8, 2021 6:55 AM MDT

The Merriam citing you show above specifically references the phrase civil rights movement, not merely the word rights, therefore, it does not address in any way, shape or form what you wrote. Also, the citing has nothing to do with the context of the sentence you wrote: you capitalized a word in the middle of the sentence, an action for which absolutely no context exists. 

If you choose to cite a source or use it to bolster your point, it would help to use one that matches what you’re defending. 

Long story short: Rights rights.

October 8, 2021 7:28 AM MDT

"Rights" is often capitalized when referencing Constitutional Rights, regardless of grammar rules.
    Sorry if that twists your knickers.
      October 8, 2021 7:38 AM MDT

The fact that people wrote something incorrectly, or often wrote something incorrectly, does not suddenly nor automatically make it correct. Using your new attempt at justifying what you wrote incorrectly in the first place, it makes perfect sense to capitalize the word Constitutional, and at the discretion of the writer, the word Rights, the latter of which I stress is discretionary. However, it is by no means a hard and fast rule that referring to anything that is Constitutional can always or often be capitalized.

Now the twisted knickers are in your court. 

October 8, 2021 8:04 AM MDT

I would explain to my boss that she simply could not continue without me.... I, as the boss, would have to agree. 

If I was working for someone else, I would file for my unemployment immediately. 
      October 8, 2021 9:29 AM MDT