Active Now

DannyPetti
Randy D
my2cents
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Why are some people so quick to criticise others? Why can't they see that criticising others makes themselves look bad?
Bez

Why are some people so quick to criticise others? Why can't they see that criticising others makes themselves look bad?

It makes them look like selfish arrogant jerks, don't you think?

Posted - July 3, 2016

Responses

• Before criticizing someone you should walk a mile in their shoes

Then you will be a mile away from them and have their shoes lol

July 3, 2016 9:16 AM MDT

Hello Andy:

Look bad to WHO?   Where I operate, I'm called names all the time.  It embarrasses NOBODY..

excon

July 3, 2016 9:26 AM MDT

Like you are doing right now?

July 3, 2016 9:29 AM MDT
  • Bez

That's an old joke. Lol:)

July 3, 2016 9:29 AM MDT
  • Bez

That makes you a victim, not a perpetrator, so I would be quick to defend you in such circumstances.

July 3, 2016 9:30 AM MDT
  • Bez

No, I'm not. This question isn't aimed at any one person in particular, it is criticising the general trend for criticising people. I'm sure that makes sense.

July 3, 2016 9:32 AM MDT

Even worse is when they discover chat sites.  LOL

July 3, 2016 10:00 AM MDT
  • Bez

Those aren't supposed to be there to criticise people either. I thought the idea of chat sites was to bring together like-minded people to chat about whatever the topic may be without having to suffer the trauma of being criticised by some idiotic troll with nothing better to do than to cause trouble.

July 3, 2016 10:04 AM MDT

I know.  I remember the first time I made it to a chat site where people went cuckoo because you didn't have the same political views.  At first I thought it was just one or two people that were just rude, but then I discovered this was the thinking of a whole bunch.  It got personal too.  

Needless to say, I avoid politics like the plague.

There are still a fair share of people on chat sites that make it their mission to share their misery wherever they go, but I do all that I can to not engage them either.

Lesson learned.  You want to keep your sanity, limit your time on chat boards.  

July 3, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

to whom?  Randy D~

July 3, 2016 10:19 AM MDT

That is as good as "a friend in need"

remember "a friend in need is a friend, indeed"  what sense did that ever make?

revised version:

A friend in need is a pest.  LOL

July 3, 2016 10:20 AM MDT

There are different forms of criticism. The negative and I constructive one is plain unnecessary. A constructive criticism can when given in a positive attitude be seen as guidance. Then there will be the queen, who to decide what's a constructive and what's an unconstructive criticism, and when to see at a criticism as guidance. Hmm.
      July 3, 2016 11:51 AM MDT

Indeed...
      July 3, 2016 12:07 PM MDT

Constructive, well thought out criticism should be always welcome since that's the only way to grow as an individual if you're unaware of how your actions are affecting your job, yourself or the people around you.

Negative criticism, while unwarranted, can also be a source of wisdom for those that chose to grow beyond petty mentalities and behaviour.

Unfortunately, most people I've come across seem to consider any form of criticism as a personal attack.

July 3, 2016 12:14 PM MDT

Wait, what?  Just a week ago you criticized police officers who kill a person in the line of duty!  Is it only ok if you do it, but not if others do it?

Isn't that ?

Who knows, maybe it's just that you've had a reversal of opinion on criticizing people.   Hmmmmm.

July 3, 2016 12:47 PM MDT

Very good and valid points, Volfield.

~

July 3, 2016 12:50 PM MDT
  • Bez

"Unfortunately, most people I've come across seem to consider any form of criticism as a personal attack"

That's because most people you've come across are human. Very few human beings are naturally thick-skinned enough to see criticism as constructive, well thought out or the only way to grow as an individual etc. It is best to bear that in mind before criticising people.

July 3, 2016 1:29 PM MDT
  • Bez

They deserved it for being evil, not to mention hypocritical, in the first place. This question wasn't referring to things like that because it's too evil to even consider. So, no, it is not hypocrisy at all. It would probably score about minus 310 on the hypocrisy meter.

July 3, 2016 1:34 PM MDT

Too many people are weak and thin skinned today to take constructed criticism like our leaders today.

July 3, 2016 1:46 PM MDT

So certain criticism of others is ok, as long as you're the one doing the criticizing, but when others criticize, they are wrong because you don't agree with their criticizing?
    :|
      July 3, 2016 3:29 PM MDT

(thin-skinned)
      July 3, 2016 3:30 PM MDT

Of course it makes sense.

In Andy-Logic only! It's criticism, but only in a "general" connotation, even though it's very definition is someone criticizing others, but we'll all pretend that that doesn't count, because to do so would defy the principle that whatever Andy endorses as correct or denounces as incorrect must respectively coordinate with Andy's actions.

In summary, criticizing others (in general) is neither selfishness, arrogance or jerkiness, nor does it make Andy look bad, . . . wait a minute.

:|
      July 3, 2016 3:40 PM MDT
  • Bez

It's very definition? Surely that should say ITS very definition. You are the last person I expected to see inserting a rogue apostrophe into the word "its".

Referring to your comment about the police, you know as well as I do that they were in the wrong to commit a crime for which they would arrest anyone else for committing. That is hypocrisy of the absolute worst kind and we should all save our criticism for things like that. That way it wouldn't be selfish, arrogant or jerkish and it wouldn't make anyone look bad. ON THE OTHER HAND, criticising people for the sake of criticising people is done to make the person doing the criticising look big, don't you think? If you can't see the world of difference that is staring us right in the face there, then I am done with this discussion. Sheesh!

July 3, 2016 4:00 PM MDT
  • Bez

This isn't about whether I agree with it or not. Nobody with any sense would agree with cops murdering other people, regardless of what those other people had done. It is not their place to go around murdering others, and I still don't know why you brought that particular topic into it. See also my other comment on your other similar comment.

July 3, 2016 4:02 PM MDT