Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Games » TELLuRIDE. LOOKout Mountain. WASHington. LonDON. PoLAND. CAIRo (air). WisconSIN.

TELLuRIDE. LOOKout Mountain. WASHington. LonDON. PoLAND. CAIRo (air). WisconSIN.

The AnswerMug Challenge Series, Place, Name, Action, Word Edition: besides the examples above, what are some other place names* that have a verb from the English language included in their lettering?

TOP PRIZE: You are exempt from having to make any sandwiches for me during the week that you are named the winner.

RULES
1. The place name must be the proper (as in capitalized) name of a geographic feature, to include cities, counties, provinces, states, countries, continents, land masses, regions, areas, etc. The names of businesses, organizations, stores, units, buildings, structures, streets, roads, highways, expressways, paths, pathways, trails, etc are excluded. 

“Toponymytoponymics, or toponomastics (from the Ancient Greek language: τόπος / tópos, 'place', and ὄνομα / onoma, 'name') is the study of toponyms, which are the proper names of places, also known as place name or geographic name), their origins and meanings, use and typology. (Toponym is the general term for a proper name of any geographical feature.”

2.  The place name can be from any location on Earth (the Moon, other planets, other heavenly bodies, other planets, other natural satellites are not Earth).

3.  The place name can be in any language or from any language, but the verb that you select as your answer can only be in the English language or from the English language. As such, loan words qualify.

4.  Please spell out the entire place name, and please clearly stress or specify the verb that you are submitting as your answer. For instance, in the examples above, the verb is in all capital letters, and in the case of CAIRo, the verb follows the entry in parentheses to show exactly which word is being used. When posting answers and comments, underlining is available to you, as seen in this description field.

5.  The verb you enter must be part of a word in a place name, but cannot be the entire word. For instance, COLORado SpRINGS qualifies because of the delineated verbs shown. Conversely, Cold SPRING HARBOR does not qualify because the last two verbs do not have other letters in them. No verbs that are single stand-alone words as part of a place name can be used.

5a. A twist on Number 5 is that double verbs in one place name give you extra bragging rights. For instance, SPRINGFIELD contains two separate verbs, so it is allowed.

6.  All place names that you enter must have their first letters of each word capitalized, regardless of whether or not you’re stressing that letter as part of the verb you’re entering. The only exceptions are foreign-language words that are not capitalized according to the grammar rules of that language.

Have fun with this!
~

Posted - October 27, 2021

Responses

And ROLLins College.
      October 27, 2021 10:41 PM MDT

By now, of course, you realize I am right, don't you?
      October 27, 2021 10:44 PM MDT

Businesses and organizations do not count.
      October 28, 2021 8:05 AM MDT

We don't need to keep going back and forth on this, but colleges and universities are also places. Try to be a bit less rigid, although this is just a website, so it really doesn't matter.
      October 28, 2021 8:47 AM MDT

I didn’t dispute whether or not they are places. A post office is a place (and has a zip code), yet it does not qualify. Colleges and universities do not count here. 
      October 28, 2021 10:41 AM MDT

So you say, but I disagree. But as I said, this is only a website, so WTF is the difference?
      October 28, 2021 12:06 PM MDT

And Wake FoREST University!
      October 28, 2021 8:49 AM MDT

(Anyplace Any place)

October 27, 2021 10:25 PM MDT

SPRINGwood
    WENTworth FALLs
    FaulCONbridge (also BRIDGE)
    GlenBROOK
    BlaxLAND
    LAPstone (also STONE)
    WARriMOO
    WINmalee
    WoodFORD
    BlackHEATh (also LACK)
    LIThgow

All towns in the Blue MOUNTains, where I grew up. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at October 28, 2021 8:49 AM MDT
      October 27, 2021 10:40 PM MDT

EffingHAM
    GETtysburg
    FloRIDa
    TallahasSEE
    JAMaica
    BATTLEFIELD (2) 
    BENTonville
    BENTon
    SPRINGdale
    STRINGTOWn (2)
    any name with TOWn
    MISSiSIPpi (2)
    AlaBAMa
    MurFREEsboro
    BRANson
    GRANd Rivers
    New OrLEANS
    BATon Rouge
    JACKsonville
    JACKson
    SALEm
    HOOKer

October 28, 2021 5:54 AM MDT

What is 'GRAN'?
      October 28, 2021 8:06 AM MDT

It Grand but is it a proper name so I had to capitalize it.
      October 28, 2021 2:46 PM MDT

Oh...I see. Duh.
      October 28, 2021 3:35 PM MDT

Very, very good!
      Question on one of them, though; how is  “gran” a verb?
      (Originally, I also questioned “bran” as a verb, but I looked it up and it qualifies perfectly.)
    ~

October 28, 2021 8:08 AM MDT

BRANford and BranFORD, CONNECTiCUT!
      October 28, 2021 8:51 AM MDT

See above.   RAN is the verb.  Makes Branson 2 verb word, bran and ran.  This post was edited by my2cents at October 28, 2021 6:44 PM MDT
      October 28, 2021 2:48 PM MDT

Thank you for the clarification. You may have noticed that I made a provision for circumventing that kind of confusion with the example of CAIRo (air).
    ~

October 28, 2021 6:44 PM MDT

Here's an 'R' rated one.
    CUMMINGton. (MA)
      October 28, 2021 8:14 AM MDT

Slapout, AL or Slapout, AL

October 28, 2021 5:24 PM MDT

Three lists - one English, one Welsh and one international:

HAVERING 
    BARKing
    EpPING
    CHATham
    WOOton
    BOLTon
    DOFFCOCKer
    ROTherham
    SEVERn
    GRINDon
    CHOPpards
    CRAVEn
    SINGLEton
    HeptonSTALL
    STAFFord
    SALTAIRe
    HUMber
    SPURn Point
    OswesTRY
    GAINsborough
    BOOTh
    MELTham

CARDiff
    BANGor
    STAYlittle
    STEPaside
    AberTILLery
    ANGLEsey
    LlanDRILLo
    BAGlan
    MINEra

STOCKholm
    HelSINKi
    KamCHATka
    MaLAYsia
    PANama
    TaRANTo
    NAPles
    BuchaREST
    WarSAW
    Port HarCOURT
    DurBAN
    TANzania
    QUITo
    TurKEY
    United Arab EmiRATEs
    KuWAIT

This post was edited by Reverend Muhammadovsky at November 1, 2021 3:34 PM MDT
      November 1, 2021 2:39 PM MDT