Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Sports » NFL. Do you remember the days prior to the hoisting of the safety net behind the goal posts when field goals were kicked?

NFL. Do you remember the days prior to the hoisting of the safety net behind the goal posts when field goals were kicked?

If so, how long ago was that? The ball would go sailing deep into the stands, and some lucky fan would have a souvenir to take home?
~

Posted - November 11, 2021

Responses

I do remember that. It followed soon after moving the goal posts ten yards behind the goal line.
      November 11, 2021 7:37 PM MST

Approximately what year or decade?
    ~

November 11, 2021 9:37 PM MST

I found a reference that says the first time nets were used behind goal posts was at Tulane Stadium in 1967. I cannot find when the NFL started using them. Goal posts were moved back in 1974.
      November 12, 2021 6:40 AM MST

Thank you.
      ~

November 12, 2021 7:23 AM MST

I also tried to find when the NFL started using ball nets. I couldn't find any information either.
      November 12, 2021 9:35 AM MST

Further proof that it's a game for sissies (as if any more was needed - who puts on armour to play rugby?). No other code sees the need for a "safety net".
      November 12, 2021 7:04 AM MST

Gee, I wonder how long you’d last in a game on the playing field against a lineup of the men you deem to be “sissies”.  I believe you’ve regaled us with the facts you have a background on boxing and that you’re a referee for cricket, correct? Beyond officiating, you’ve also played other sports, right?
    ~

November 12, 2021 7:28 AM MST

Good point.
      November 12, 2021 9:23 AM MST

Scrum half for Drummoyne. I wasn't very good, but I played rugby until a scrum collapsed on me leaving me with three broken teeth, a broken nose and a dislocated shoulder. My wife (fiancee at the time) asked me to quit, saying she wanted something to keep her warm at night rather than a life insurance cheque.
      November 12, 2021 2:50 PM MST

It's not a safety net. It is used to keep the ball out of the stands during a field goal attempt.
      November 12, 2021 9:14 AM MST

Footballs regularly fly into the stands in just about every other football code. They get returned. Are NFL fans such a$$hats that they will prevent the game from continuing for the sake of a souvenir?
      November 12, 2021 2:52 PM MST

I have no idea...I didn't make the rules. Just answering the question and I don't make judgements on the manliness of the men who play the sports. They had no say in the use of the nets.
      November 12, 2021 7:28 PM MST

You find it necessary to badmouth people so much? It was pointed out to you that the nets are not for “protecting” the players, so then you absolutely have to attack the crowd in the stands? How are you exhibiting good character that way?

November 13, 2021 12:44 AM MST

The big argument is about the padding. Some people say that this makes football softer and easier on the body, whilst others suggest that the padding means that the players hit each other harder, so football is rougher. Both camps are right. Football players do indeed hit quite a lot harder than rugby players, who have to be more careful not to injure themselves or the other player, but the net result of the collisions are probably about the same for each sport. So when one looks at the whole picture, the sissy argument doesn't hold water in regards to Rugby or American football players.
      November 12, 2021 9:33 AM MST