Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Shopping » What is something that you are able to get direct from the source instead of having to go to a retailer?

What is something that you are able to get direct from the source instead of having to go to a retailer?

Posted - November 23, 2021

Responses

Not much, these days.
    Even if you buy wholesale, you are seldom buying directly from the manufacturer.

Farmer's Market is the only thing I can think of.
      November 23, 2021 7:32 AM MST

I thought about the farmers market, too, but then I realized that the farmer is the retailer.
      November 23, 2021 7:45 AM MST

True.
    I guess anything you purchase has a retailer, even if it is the original producer.

We don't get oxygen directly from the source - but we don't have to go to a retailer, either.  LOL
      November 23, 2021 7:59 AM MST

True, but if we aren't careful about conservation, we may not even have that.
      November 23, 2021 9:24 AM MST

When I extended my basement to two lower sub-levels, I did not go to a retail establishment for the supplies and materials. It leaves too much of a paper trail. Grrrrrrrr.
    ~

November 23, 2021 7:54 AM MST

Gimme the money and I will go pick up your stuff.
      November 23, 2021 8:39 AM MST

You made your own chains?
      November 23, 2021 1:16 PM MST

Concrete statues. 
    Metal Art. 
    Gazing Balls.
    Molds.

I used to get glue directly from the 3M factory. 

November 23, 2021 12:58 PM MST

There are a few things you can get from the source. Growing your own crops and raising livestock is one way. Water is another. I would not want to mine iron ore, then smelt it to iron to fabricate stuff.
      November 23, 2021 1:20 PM MST

You can make glue from the hooves and bones of old retired horses.
      November 23, 2021 6:59 PM MST

No....I can't.   But I used to work at 3M and was allowed to take glue that had been packed wrong. 
      November 24, 2021 5:01 AM MST

fish
      November 23, 2021 5:28 PM MST

Listen, I can vouch for the origin of every single solitary tilde that’s locked away in that vault of mine! You think a surprise inspection bothers me?  I only deal with reputable brokers who are licensed and who keep scrupulous books that outline each transac...invoices, you say? Business statements? Bills of sale? Ledgers? Tax forms? Certificates of authenticity?

Er, um, sure! Of course I have all of that! I would be perfectly happy to show you everything. I just misunderstood what it says there on the search warrant. Listen, I don’t suppose you could step outside to the parking lot and give me time to read it more thoroughly and then show you the books later, could you? No? Oh, I didn’t think so. Gee, you look famished, I can have some sandwiches brought in here in no time at all. You just tell me what your favorite is and I’ll see to it that…no, huh? Just the books, I see. Why didn’t you say so in the first place? Is that all you’re here for? No problem, no problem whatsoever. You know, if you had called me ahead of time, maybe an hour or five, I could have had time to get everything together for you. As it is, I’ll have to wait until I clear my desk, have some better lighting brought in here…what’s that you said? Stalling? Who, me? I never stall. Straight to the point, that’s how I am! No beating around the bush for me, not on your life! No, no, no, I’m not stalling at all. You won’t even believe how cooperative I am with regulatory agencies and enforcement offices. Ask anyone, they’ll tell you that Randolph D Randall is the first person you can count on to…the books? Um, er, well, you interrupted me, I was saying that you can say what you like about Randall Amalgamated Worldwide, but failure to comply with a court order isn’t one of them! I’ll give you an example...no, I don’t mind at all. Just about this same time three years ago, a similar investigation (nothing came of it, by the way) was initiated at me other office, Grammar Manor, and…no, I’m not dragging my feet, I told you that before. The books? Oh, right! You’re here to see the books! (Sigh.) Fine, fine! I’ll take you to them! Enough with the brow-beating, you’ve worn me down, back off already! Yesssssss, I said I will show them to you, so you can stop with all the hard tactics! Follow me downstairs to the Filing Room located in the third sub-basement, and you’ll get everything that you came here for. Grrrrrrrrrrr. 

~

November 23, 2021 6:42 PM MST

I remember one time going down a staircase much deeper and steeper than that and a lot darker too. There were no walls or handrails on either side and about halfway down there was a turn to the left where I almost fell off. Your place is pretty tame.
      November 23, 2021 7:22 PM MST

“Tame”? Fine, but you obviously returned from that descent. How tame now, brown cow?
    ~

November 23, 2021 8:45 PM MST

Everything has become a lot softer and easier these days.
      November 23, 2021 9:39 PM MST

Honey. A friend of mine keeps bees, I prefer getting it from him knowing that it's unadulterated. Too often supermarket honey that is labelled "pure" is up to 10%  golden syrup (refined molasses), honey that lacks that label can be as much as 40%.
      November 23, 2021 9:55 PM MST

You’re right. That’s true of the supposed “honey” packets given to customers of the “Popeye’s Louisiana Chicken” fast food chain here in The States. It’s actually labeled “honey sauce”, and its main ingredient is corn syrup.

November 24, 2021 7:14 AM MST

My wife and I were able to get a membership with Jetro, a wholesale food and bodega/restaurant supply warehouse here in Brooklyn. They carry bigger bulk sizes and cases of things like trash bags than are available at places like BJ's and Costco.
      November 24, 2021 5:44 AM MST