Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » In your culture, are Boxing Day and Three Kings’ Day celebrated every year?

In your culture, are Boxing Day and Three Kings’ Day celebrated every year?

Boxing Day is a holiday celebrated yearly on December 26th. Though it originated as a holiday to give gifts to the poor, today Boxing Day is primarily known as a shopping holiday. It originated in Britain, and is celebrated in a number of former British colonies. In some places, if December 26th is on a Saturday or Sunday, Boxing Day is recognized one or two days later (to ensure it falls on a weekday). 

[~]

Posted - December 8, 2021

Responses

No.
      December 8, 2021 10:11 AM MST

Boxing Day is. Just another public holiday.
    Epiphany is the day the Christmas decorations come down, the "Twelfth Day of Christmas", but has no other significance attached to it.
      December 9, 2021 5:22 AM MST

We don't do Christian holidays.
      December 9, 2021 5:44 AM MST

• Boxing Day isn't celebrated in my country, but the 26th of December is a holiday if it's on Friday or Monday.  Three Kings' Day is celebrated.  Kids leave their shoes by the door the night before Three Kings' Day.  They have small gifts in their shoes when they wake up in the morning.  We also have a nice dinner with the Three Kings' Day cake. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 9, 2022 1:25 PM MST
      December 10, 2021 4:07 PM MST

In my culture, no, but the day after Christmas is just an extension of Christmas Day in my family.  We spend time with each other, have leftovers of Christmas dinner and watch TV all day.

My husband makes a special dinner for Three Kings Day, which is usually Mexican-style food because that’s what the few restaurants that serve a Three Kings Day meal serve on that day.  He’s making pheasant tamales this year.  We’re also having a ring crunch cake with candied fruit on it.  Yum!

Three Kings Day is also the day we take down the Christmas decorations in our house.  We replace the outdoor Christmas lights with plain white lights because they’re nice to have in the winter.  Otherwise, it’s just too depressing in the winter to not have any lights on the trees or the house. This post was edited by Livvie at January 9, 2022 1:22 PM MST
      January 5, 2022 9:36 PM MST