Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Arts » What is something you have had to practice many times before you got it right?

What is something you have had to practice many times before you got it right?

Posted - December 20, 2021

Responses

The two classical piano pieces Fur Elise and Tarantella before I played every note right at two recitals in front of a crowd. Mind you I'm a musicologist but not quite a musician though. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at September 6, 2022 6:36 PM MDT
      December 20, 2021 11:45 AM MST

Drawing or fading a golf shot. A draw is slight to moderate left curve and a fade is a slight to moderate right curve. Both for right handed golfers..
      December 20, 2021 12:14 PM MST

Crocheting, knitting, cutting my own hair.
      December 20, 2021 2:38 PM MST

Sports
    Music, both vocals and piano
    Cheerleading
      December 20, 2021 9:02 PM MST

Sex.

(I think that anyone who claims that he or she was great at it the very first time, or who claims to be great at it on every single occasion, is plainly and obviously lying.)
      ~

December 20, 2021 9:26 PM MST

Music selections for recitals.
    Vocal performances.
    Speeches and presentations.
    Dance.
      September 9, 2022 1:02 PM MDT

Playing a drum-roll properly. I took up the drums many years ago but have not played for nearly as long!

A roll is not as easy as it looks, to play as it should be, but one day it sort of fell into place.

I did not though pursue the snare-dumming tutorial, by Buddy Rich, to such arcanities as the 'Triple Flam Paradiddle'.

Ordinary Flams (equivalent to a grace-note) and Drags (with two grace-notes) yes. The basic Paradiddle (8 strokes so if marking quavers, fill a 4/4 time bar). Anything further.... no.

Actually the very advanced patterns would probably be lost on any listener not a skilled, experienced drummer anyway! To anyone else it would more likely just be a blizzard of quaver and grace-note strokes like a slightly lumpy roll; but the jazz and big-band drummers liked using such things to show how clever they were.

I still know these basic rhythm and fill building-blocks, called "rudiments", but I'd be well out or practice for playing them to a decent standard.

#####

Using a hacksaw and file properly - the former well enough to minimise having to use the latter!

====

Not really grinding practice but related to that...

Finally understanding some mathematical topics thanks not to mechanically following text-book examples and exercises, but to real-life applications throwing themselves on my mercy so they showed me at last what the numbers actually do to each other!
      November 14, 2022 1:29 PM MST