Active Now

Durdle
Randy D
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Many of us itch while wearing wool. Why don't sheep itch all of the time?

Many of us itch while wearing wool. Why don't sheep itch all of the time?

Posted - January 1, 2022

Responses

Sheep only itch when they have lice, fleas or ticks then they are treated with ivermectin.
      January 1, 2022 12:34 PM MST

Ivermectin is an antiparasitic so I can't imagine it working on fleas or ticks, but I'm really only familiar with it as used in horses via horse paste.
      January 1, 2022 2:46 PM MST

I just made it up about ivermectin used for ticks, fleas and lice. But I have heard of people taking it to treat the covid bug.
      January 1, 2022 3:07 PM MST

Of course, and it is effective.  It doesn't, however, make billions for the pharmaceutical companies.  The governments have promised they will get to throw out new drugs with high prices and patents.  That is why its use isn't promoted by authorities.  Same thing with hydroxychloroquine.        Both have been around for ages. 
      January 1, 2022 3:57 PM MST

The wool on the sheep is not processed with chemicals liked the wool to make clothing.
      January 1, 2022 1:16 PM MST

Because they are sheep.  Maybe Spunky is right to a point, but I think it has more to do with how it is processed and spun as a textile fabric.  Wool army blankets are scratchy as heck, but a nice men's wool suit is soft enough to wrap a baby.  It's how the fiber is spun and woven. 
      January 1, 2022 4:00 PM MST