Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » “Follow the science.” When the CDC* and the AMA** disagree with each other on how long quarantines should last, which should we follow?

“Follow the science.” When the CDC* and the AMA** disagree with each other on how long quarantines should last, which should we follow?

*Centers for Disease Control
**American Medical Association

~

Posted - January 11, 2022

Responses

There is more information out there that is confusing than instructive.  Truth is, they have no idea what this virus and its variants are doing other than if you get vaccinated, you are less likely to be severely ill, hospitalized and/or die.  I have no way of knowing this, but I'm sure that thousands, if not millions, of us have had Covid-19 and were either asymptomatic or had such mild symptoms that they had no idea they were ill.  The U.S., for what has traditionally been a "first world" country, has shown that political division has rendered it almost useless in fighting this pandemic other than providing free vaccines and boosters.  
      January 11, 2022 9:11 AM MST

Personally,  I would follow the AMA, which is less likely to be politically influenced. But, unless everyone is on the same page, it doesn't really matter what I  do.
      January 11, 2022 9:54 AM MST

I would agree with you and I would quarantine for the 10 days just to be on the safe side. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at January 11, 2022 12:33 PM MST
      January 11, 2022 10:02 AM MST

I would do as we should for ALL sickness.   IF you feel ill.....stay away from people. 

Also according to "the science" it is very rare to spread the disease if you do not have symptoms.  
      January 11, 2022 11:43 AM MST

I agree.

Unfortunately, too many people place their own convenience above the health of others.
    After all, that's why we have a "cold and flu season".
      January 11, 2022 2:00 PM MST

I would normally say use common sense, but since that doesn't seem to exist anymore you'd have to revert to the decision of the FAC (Flip A Coin)...  heads the CDC, tails the AMA.

This post was edited by Shuhak at January 11, 2022 1:42 PM MST
      January 11, 2022 12:26 PM MST

FAC?
      January 11, 2022 12:34 PM MST

Doh!  I fix, I fix.
      January 11, 2022 12:40 PM MST

I don’t disagree with your stance of using common sense, part of which I believe requires informing oneself. In order to do so, average people who are not the actual researchers or professionals have to rely on something, somewhere, some source of data.

The problem with this particular situation is that two such “supposed” sources which apparently are made up of science-based thinkers are at odds with the information that they release to the public. Of course, there’s not any way that both sources can be correct if the give different decisions, and it’s difficult to know which one is correct. Then, even worse than the tight-rope act is the question of why would the one who’s incorrect knowingly release inaccuracies . . . 

____

January 12, 2022 7:02 AM MST