Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Should a leader be allowed to freeze people's bank accounts without a court order?

Should a leader be allowed to freeze people's bank accounts without a court order?

Imagine the uproar if President Trump, during the riots of summer 2020:
1. Declared an emergency 
2. Used the police to break up the protests
3. Unilaterally froze the bank accounts of people who donated to BLM

What would people be saying? 

Posted - February 15, 2022

Responses

It should be illegal in any modern country.  It is called theft.   Castro Jr is attacking political dissidents.    Banana Republic stuff.    Glad I do not live there.  But I may decide I need to make some donations to the truckers.  Castro Jr has no power over me. 
      February 17, 2022 10:20 AM MST

Do you understand the difference between freezing accounts and stealing them?
      February 17, 2022 12:59 PM MST

Let me know when they get their money back....until then it is stealing.  It is the action a dictatorship takes.  Shame on the world for not condemning his actions. This post was edited by my2cents at February 17, 2022 3:24 PM MST
      February 17, 2022 3:15 PM MST

Yes a leader should do that. The accounts that will be frozen are the accounts that are being funded to support a illegal protest that is costing Canada billions of dollars in trade and holding Canadians hostage. Trump did use the police to break up a legal protest so he could have a photo op at a church. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at February 16, 2022 10:08 AM MST
      February 16, 2022 8:19 AM MST

Really..... 
    I hope you are never on the receiving end of that from a PM.   It is theft. Regardless of which party is doing it. 

So you would not have criticized Trump if he seized accounts of those who donated to BLM or Antifa?   Somehow I doubt that.  
    I guess when he gets re-elected in 2024, he can start with VP Harris who donated to bail out those arrested during those protests. 

A church that BLM/Antifa had burnt the night before NO one should have been allowed near it. 
      February 16, 2022 8:39 AM MST

The leader of Canada froze the accounts for the good of Canada and America. Before he froze the accounts he weighed all the options and legalities in Parliament. A couple of years ago the leader of America froze money that was marked to go to the Ukraine.  He didn't do it for the good of America or the Ukraine he did it for personal reasons - to pressure the Ukrainian president to dig up dirt on Hunter Biden. He didn't go through Congress and he refused to meet with the Ukrainian president at the WH until dirt was dug up on Biden even if there was no dirt to be found. That sent a dangerous message to Russia - the US doesn't support the Ukraine. Cheers! 
      February 16, 2022 5:00 PM MST

It should not be legal without a court order.  Seizing people's property without due process is the action of a banana Republic tyrannical dictatorship. 

Not going into Trump/Biden/Ukraine.  This question is about Trudeau and his being a tyrant. 
      February 16, 2022 5:23 PM MST

That might be a copyright infraction because Trump is known as the Mussolini of Mar-a-Lago. Cheers!
      February 16, 2022 5:34 PM MST

Still  trying to deflect to Trump..... 
    Topic is Fidel Trudeao.
      February 17, 2022 7:28 AM MST