Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Biden administration not interested in fixing gas prices permanently. Is this what you voted for?

Biden administration not interested in fixing gas prices permanently. Is this what you voted for?

Anchor Stephanie Ruhle said, “I want to stay on gas for another moment. You’re absolutely right, the president does not set the price of gas, but he can influence it. And while releasing some strategic reserves matters, given how much has been released, it is really just a drop in the bucket. Are there things, and I realize this is controversial, it has huge environmental impacts, could the president possibly consider authorizing the Keystone Pipeline? Or working something out with Iran?”

Buttigieg said, “Look, the president has said that all options are on the table. But we also need to make sure that we are not galloping after permanent solutions to immediate short term problems, where more strategic and tactical actions in the short term that can make a difference, like what you have with the strategic reserve, which exists partly in order to respond to situations like this.”
How do they not understand/care about the inflation caused by their actions? 

Posted - March 4, 2022

Responses

Fraud in plan sight. Just the number of nursing home votes is more than enough to flip the results.  It is a wow....that it has been ignored so long.   
    But do not worry laws are being fixed to.prevent it and secure the sanity our elections.
      March 5, 2022 5:43 AM MST

Blah blah blah blah blah
      March 6, 2022 8:56 AM MST

You can disagree...but those are facts and laws are being corrected. 
      March 6, 2022 6:12 PM MST

Blah blah blah!!
      March 7, 2022 4:14 PM MST

Buttigieg's reply you quoted (including your emphases) makes sense to me.

And, similar to many climate change hoax advocates I've heard  -- i.e., meteorological weather patterns naturally have happened over thousands of years, and that means humans have no, or very little impact on the world climate and that means we should make no policy changes based on climate change --  similarly, over the years, I've also seen fluctuation with inflation come and go in the USA with all sorts of products, based on local, nationwide and worldwide events - - and to make major permanent policy changes during 'extreme' times is questionable to me.

Regardless, many people will blame whoever is the president if events during his or her term go not as they wish.
    Whatever.

And I understand the former president has nothing at all do to with anything bad or negative that has happened, ever. The man is flawless.

To be literal, I do not remember having a Permanant Gas Change Policy issue on my voting ballot, so, no, I did not vote for it either way.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 4, 2022 7:27 PM MST
      March 4, 2022 5:32 PM MST

Biden's policies have increased gas prices especially and of course that increases everything else.     Mayor Pete is not willing to reverse those policies which harm USA and the US workers. They use the excuse that Putin caused ot all.  Even though it started before  Putin and Ukraines. 

We disagree on climate change.but that is not the topic here. Another topic for another question. This post was edited by my2cents at March 12, 2022 7:33 AM MST
      March 4, 2022 6:23 PM MST

Okay.
    Goodbye.
      March 4, 2022 6:30 PM MST

I regret how I answered your question. Though I still, in general, agree with my point, I allowed anger at the many Trump adorers in the very, very politically conservative area in which I live get to me. I'm sorry.
      March 21, 2022 7:43 PM MDT

No worries, we are all entitled to our opinions and to voice them. Your answer was voiced without calling names or being rude....I wish more people could do that. 

:)
      March 22, 2022 6:47 AM MDT

Thanks, my2cents.  :)
      March 22, 2022 3:28 PM MDT

Like approximately 80 million other Americans, I voted against Trump. And I don't own a car.
      March 5, 2022 4:08 AM MST

But you eat, you pay electricity, and you pay someone else to drive you who has to pay these higher.gas prices,, etc. 
    What do you think higher gas prices cause? 
      March 5, 2022 5:47 AM MST

You mean what causes them? Market fluctuations in the price of crude oil.
      March 5, 2022 7:37 AM MST

No. I mean the effects on other prices because of higher gas prices.  
    You do not believe businesses simply absorb those higher costs and do not pass them on to the customers.   You are/were an accountant, I know...you know better. 
      March 5, 2022 4:37 PM MST

Of course they do, as they should.
      March 5, 2022 5:23 PM MST

So you are fine with Biden increasing your cost of living. This post was edited by my2cents at March 6, 2022 7:20 PM MST
      March 6, 2022 7:20 PM MST

No president can singlehandedly do that. It's simplistic and naive to assert that. It's driven by private sector market forces beyond public sector control.
      March 6, 2022 8:24 PM MST

Policies do that....policies matter. 
    And when on day one you shut down pipelines and restrict drilling on federal land etc.  Bringing the country from energy independent to needing to import oil....your policies just drove up the cost of gas and with it everything else.   He did this before Putin did his crap in Ukraine....so while that will effect gas prices more. It does not take the blame from  Biden administration's policies.   
    There is a reason gas was under $2 with Trump and now almost $4 with Biden. (Over $5 in some areas) 
    Presidential policies matter and they do influence costs. The fact, that Mayor Pete says they will not do anything to help drive the costs back down....matters. Those playing the futures in oil will listen to that statement and act accordingly.   Policies matter. 
      March 7, 2022 6:24 AM MST

But market forces matter more.
      March 7, 2022 6:52 AM MST

I can look at history  it shows the policies of the POTUS matter in respect to gas prices.   
    Under Bush Jr they went up because of the Iraq war. 
    Under Obama they were up because of his anti drilling/pipeline  policies.  
    Under Trump they went down because we drilled and we opened the pipelines.  Gas went back down to prices we were told we would never see again.  We were energy independent.  
    Under Biden they went back up because Biden went back to the Obama policies.  And now they will go up more because of Ukraine.  
    Yes market forces have empact on the price but the Presidential policies have empact on those market forces.   

We would be so much better under Trump polices. As history has shown us.
      March 7, 2022 7:59 AM MST

That's irrelevant and not an option now. He lost the election.
      March 7, 2022 8:04 AM MST

Reversing the policies that Biden put on place is not irrelevant now. Biden has the power to go back. He can open the pipeline and the leases back up.
      March 7, 2022 4:51 PM MST

Prices have risen because of supply uncertainty due to the war in Ukraine. That's a free market force. In Economics 101 you learned that price rises when supply decreases relative to demand or demand rises relative to supply. That's not Biden's fault. Blame Putin if you must blame someone.
      March 8, 2022 10:06 AM MST

Try again.  Prices of everything including gas have been rising since before the Russia/Ukraine invasion. Long before.  

When Trump left office in Jan 2021 avg gas was $2.33.   Within 6 months under Biden it rose to $3.13 (80 cents) in July 2021. It ended the year out at $3.30 approx $1.00 higher.  This has NOTHING to do with Russia/Urkaine this was 2 full months before that started. 

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=emm_epmr_pte_nus_dpg&f=m

It is now at $3.50 and yes they very recent jumps are because of Russian/Ukraine but it was already up with no signs of going down.  Get ready for for it to  hit $8-$9/ gal in places like CA.  

But again......POLICIES of the person in the White House matter.   They are not the be all and end all but they are a big part of it. 
      March 8, 2022 1:15 PM MST

Gas was cheaper during Obama's presidency. How do you explain that? And they have risen sharply since the Ukraine invasion. Supply and demand, regardless of president.
      March 8, 2022 3:18 PM MST