Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Do you believe Jen Psaki that gas is only high because of Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Do you believe Jen Psaki that gas is only high because of Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Posted - March 9, 2022

Responses

No. There are numerous factors, one being that those who are trading oil futures don't want prices to drop. We import 7% of our oil from Russia, which should only account for a 7% increase. Also, the US does not control the price of oil, as we are not part of OPEC.
      March 9, 2022 8:34 AM MST

And even if we were part of OPEC, we would only be a single vote - so still wouldn't control the price.
      March 9, 2022 9:02 AM MST

I believe nothing she reads to the press.  Those meetings are scripted and rehearsed and I don't see the point of wasting time on it. 
      March 9, 2022 4:14 PM MST

It actually amazes me how much they all lie.  
      March 9, 2022 5:41 PM MST

It's astounding.  And nothing new it seems. 
      March 9, 2022 11:30 PM MST

The problem is threefold, and NONE of those have anything to do with Biden despite your obvious imputation.
    Firstly, demand rose as the world emerged from the depths of the global COVID-19 pandemic. But for Trump's inaction, that could have happened sooner.
    Secondly, OPEC enacted a partial embargo to put a floor under the price of crude, something that they were intending to do for three years but they couldn't get Russia to come to the party.
    The third and final factor is Ukraine - that has also been brewing for the best part of a decade, but petrol (gas) prices only since the invasion have exceeded $2 per litre here for the first time in history.
      March 10, 2022 1:15 AM MST

Of course.....Biden shutting down Keystone pipeline, banning fracking, shutting down oil drilling in Fed lands....those have Nothing to do with the gas prices.   Of course, other things way in as well....but Biden and his handlers policies do matter and they do cause prices to increase. 

(Coming out of the pandemic does not mean what it does here for other countries....we were not locked down in the majority of states in US.) 
      March 10, 2022 7:28 AM MST

But people weren't travelling either - and petroleum prices are global, so the Keystone pipeline etc had no effect in Singapore or Riyadh, where trading is centred.
      March 10, 2022 11:54 PM MST

But Keystone has effect in US. If we drill it has effect here.  Prices are not just trading stocks.  Being energy independent,  supply/demand, Political policies, futures trading  etc....
      March 11, 2022 6:08 AM MST

Jen is a notorious Russophobic propagandist. 
      March 11, 2022 7:00 AM MST