Active Now

Spunky
CosmicWunderkind
Thebigd
Pet Eater
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Family » Have you even became estranged from a close family member? If you did, did you ever work things out later?

Have you even became estranged from a close family member? If you did, did you ever work things out later?

I recently made this decision with a family member that just was causing a lot of unnecessary drama and hurt.  She lives across country, so the tie I broke off was with social media where we always used to share our lives with each other.  The recent death of our mother seem to pull us apart instead of bringing us closer.  I admit to being horribly sad about all this since I loved her very much, but I couldn't go on being someone she seem to want to hurt for reasons I don't understand.  We do have a history of being estranged from each other before, with her usually being the one to stop talking for petty reasons never known until years later.  I realized I can't keep chasing her down to figure out what is up with her.  

Care to share your own experience?

Posted - November 5, 2016

Responses

• I often find writing is better than vocal communications in such situations ... It gives people time to reflect wiithout having to answer immediately ... Maybe you should tell her what you just told me ... I do wish you well :)
      November 5, 2016 2:09 PM MDT

Yes.  After extending an olive branch a few times, only to have him say the most insensitive thing the last time, I have written him off.  We were very close once, and I treasure those memories, but there are no longer any good memories to be made.  
      November 5, 2016 2:31 PM MDT

Same here Boz.  That is what adds to the pain.  She did something really uncalled for that caused a lot grief to my family, all while my Mom was trying to get well again.  She begged for my forgiveness after everyone else in the family called her out on it.  I told her that I needed time, but would accept her apology.  Then my mother suddenly died and we both reached for each other.  I never brought up the negative incident again to anyone, but she suddenly stopped talking to me.  She handles everyone like that and this time, I am not running back to see what I did wrong in her mind.  It took everything in me to let go of that initial hurt and reach out to her.  I felt it was the right thing to do. 

So yeh, I have run out of olive branches for the time being.
      November 5, 2016 2:55 PM MDT

Yes and No. 
      November 5, 2016 2:38 PM MDT

• I'm estranged from my bellowing, raging, snarling, fist cocking. hate filled, bitter, stupid, fault finding. needling. knife threatening. table bashing, father. Who is also dead.
      November 5, 2016 5:20 PM MDT

Yikes whistle6.  Sounds like you went through hell with your father.  I hope you found some peace with his passing.
      November 5, 2016 6:19 PM MDT

• I hear your sadness.

Perhaps you will make it up one day.

In my case the split is permanent.

My sister first got into trouble with the law when she was 18. The judge ordered that she have a psychiatric assessment and it turned out that she had Borderline Narcissistic Personality Disorder. This is not so rare for disturbed teenagers and some grow out of it.

A pattern developed in which she would ask for a favour, and then just as I was doing as agreed, she’d up the ante, ask for something beyond possible, and then become violently enraged when I said no. This would lead to me leaving and avoiding her for months. Then she would return, be incredibly charming, and the cycle began again.

Her attempts at friendships with others consistently ended in disasters.

She did the same with my mother. Between them, this pattern led indirectly to the negligent drowning of my two and a half year old niece. I was not there when it happened.

Eventually, in an attempt at family reconciliation, we went to an experienced psychologist.

After interviewing us all separately, and several sessions with us all together, she asked to see my mother and I privately. She explained that my sister had Borderline Narcissistic Personality Disorder – that this condition was next to impossible to cure because part of it involves the belief that whatever goes wrong it is always someone’s else’s fault. She explained that my sister’s condition was potentially dangerous and that the safest course for us would be complete separation.

My mother was unable to do this, and later it did prove disastrous, twice and in different ways. It took police, hospital, psychiatrists and months of interventions to resolve each situation.

Since my mother died, I no longer have any contact with my sister, and life has become far more peaceful.

Some sibling situations are solvable – others are not.

I wish you well, Peapod, in which ever way it turns out.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 5, 2016 6:27 PM MDT
      November 5, 2016 5:23 PM MDT

Thank-you hartfire for sharing that with me.  For whatever is inside of me, I feel often compelled to be the one to be the "bigger person".  My sister has so many problems, none that she seems to ever own herself.  I suspect she has a host of psychiatric problems that will likely never get better.  Letting her go is still painful.  We still had a long family history together and it has really hit me hard since both of my parents are now deceased.  I do have a brother, but he's never really been involved with the family since he went into the service at age 19.  
      November 5, 2016 6:42 PM MDT

• When I see siblings who get along well, it is always because the family they grew up in was functional on every level, including an ability to laugh at quirks and mistakes without rancour. They have countless things automatically understood from their long-shared background. They jump to support each other without hesitation in times of need.

They find it impossible to understand just how destructive dysfunctional families are.

And yet those of us who managed to survive can create new families of affiliation via our friends, as Ari and I have done.
      November 5, 2016 7:46 PM MDT

Very true hartfire.  My husband comes from such a family.  He had wonderful parents and wonderful siblings.  Even the one brother that gets on his nerves would never go without their help and support.  Luckily, I reaped some of that stability in my own life by marrying him.  :)  

I always said that my "family" is really made of some wonderful friends and relatives that are not of my immediate family.
      November 5, 2016 7:57 PM MDT

Kind of,  for brief periods of time.  Only with my brother,  and we did always 'get over' our fallings-out enough to communicate with respect and even love, most times, when we spoke or saw each other. His wife,  on the other hand, will never be forgiven by me for her behavior both before and after my brother's death.  She was at one time, a rather close family member.  
      November 5, 2016 5:34 PM MDT

It sounds like you went through a very painful betrayal with her Piper.  Losing your brother was undoubtedly hard.  But if you were once close with his wife, it is like losing a sister.  I don't have much contact with my brother, but his live in girlfriend is like a sister to me.  I would hope to never lose her.
      November 5, 2016 6:46 PM MDT

It sounds like we had the same sister in-law.
    After my brother died I moved and I never want her to know where I am.
      November 7, 2016 7:40 AM MST

most of my family is like that, they never seem to want to contact me and i have no idea why
      November 5, 2016 5:58 PM MDT

That's sad. *hugs*
      November 5, 2016 6:20 PM MDT

I hear you pearl and not even knowing why has been difficult for me as well.  

I have been reading a lot lately about sibling estrangement and the common theme is that people often don't know why they just stopped talking.  There is a great article here about how dysfunctional parents are often the root of these estrangements.  

http://marciasirotamd.com/trauma-recovery/the-inevitability-of-fractured-sibling-relationships-in-dysfunctional-families

November 5, 2016 6:52 PM MDT

I have been, and have managed to forgive and reconcile, and I'm very thankful for that. I really was ready to move on and forgive, and she was ready to recognize what she'd done and apologize. I think you have to have all of those things in place.

I've also seen relationships never reconciled due to death, and it's heartbreaking.

If you think you can do it, I would suggest reaching out and being completely honest about your feelings. It may not work out how you'd like it to, but at least you will know that you did everything you could.

Best of luck to you and I hope it works out.

November 5, 2016 6:33 PM MDT

Thank-you SavvyAnsley.  I hope I do find that ability inside me before we lose each other permanently.  I would be heartbroken to say the least if we missed that opportunity.  But right now, I know I can't keep putting myself in a place to get hurt again and again.  The older I get, the more I understand that I can't help everyone without paying a huge price for it.  It's so hard letting go, but certainly necessary in order to heal.
      November 5, 2016 7:08 PM MDT