Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What are some things, either large or small, that a waitress/waiter has done that you found impressive beyond normal expectations? ~

What are some things, either large or small, that a waitress/waiter has done that you found impressive beyond normal expectations? ~

Posted - June 3, 2022

Responses

When you eat at a high end Restaurant and have a waiter assigned to your table standing nearby.  All you have to do is slightly turn your head his way and he will immediately be at your side.  
      June 3, 2022 9:02 AM MDT

Have you ever had to ask the waiter to cool it on the 'check-ins.'  
      June 3, 2022 1:18 PM MDT

Not at a high end restaurant, the waiters stand by and wait to be summoned, a casual look or movement is all that is needed, you don't have to speak.  
      June 3, 2022 3:28 PM MDT

Sometimes they can't help themselves. 
      June 3, 2022 11:20 PM MDT

Many times, but my favorite was a waitress at the old fish house would bring you a sample of something if you couldn't make up your mind.  She is the only one to do this that I recall.  The owner of the place would often walk by a table and put a small plate with a few fried shrimp or scallops just to surprise the guests.  We miss that place but they opened a new fish house in a nearby town that we visit sometimes still.
      June 3, 2022 1:21 PM MDT

Thank you.
    ~
      June 3, 2022 1:40 PM MDT

I'm really impressed by waitstaff who don't write down orders and get everything right. 
      June 3, 2022 9:11 PM MDT

Get paid a living wage, so don't have to rely on tips to survive. Oh wait - that doesn't happen in America.

Gratuities do happen in Australia, but only for exceptional customer service - and therefore the waitstaff don't have to aggressively demand them.

Were I to visit the US and dine in a restaurant there, I'd tip - but write $0 in the gratuity on the bill and tip in cash directly to the waiter. It's none of the boss's business how much I tipped, if s/he is too lousy to pay the staff decently.
      June 4, 2022 10:16 PM MDT

Legally, it is the boss' business what amount the server is tipped.  It is supposed to be tracked and reported on the employee's W-2. 
    Also if the servers do not report enough tips to get to minimum wage, the boss has to pay the difference.  Needless to say that server would get fired. 

I also tip directly. And think they should be paid minimum wage plus tips.
      June 5, 2022 4:56 AM MDT