Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
my2cents
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Canadians do not have the right to self defense with a gun??? Why?

Canadians do not have the right to self defense with a gun??? Why?

https://rumble.com/v1818yd-trudeau-says-using-a-gun-for-self-protection-is-not-a-right-that-you-have-i.html

There are debates, and we have a culture where the difference is. Guns can be used for hunting or for sport shooting in Canada – and there are lots of gun owners, and they’re mostly law-respecting and law-abiding – but you can’t use a gun for self-protection in Canada. That’s not a right that you have in the Constitution or anywhere else. If you try and buy a gun and say it’s for self-protection – No, you don’t get that'

Posted - June 11, 2022

Responses

Same reason that every civilised nation in the world EXCEPT the USA does not (the exceptions being Switzerland,  Israel and Croatia, where military service is mandatory so all weapons owners are veterans). "Self-defense" is subjective, a violent individual can claim they felt "threatened" even when no threat exists. "He said she said" is useless if one party is dead.
    Sublethal force is always an option. Friend of mine as a tae kwondo black belt, an ex-girlfriend of mine had a similar ranking in traditional karate, both my kids are GKR karate trained and a niece is Australian Under-15 champion. Tasers are legal (must be registered and the owner licensed), insect repellent in the eyes is more effective than capsicum spray and cricket bats are also perfectly legal. As are steak knives.
      June 11, 2022 10:11 PM MDT

Another reason I am glad I live in the USA. 
    I can conceal-carry in my state without a permit. I can protect myself if I feel it is needed. 
      June 12, 2022 6:49 AM MDT

I can and have protected myself without killing anybody (boxed flyweight and I haven't forgotten how).
    On the other hand, your neighbour could shoot you down in cold blood and claim "self-defense". His/her word against yours, and yours can never be heard. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at June 18, 2022 6:17 AM MDT
      June 13, 2022 12:37 AM MDT

here in canada owning a gun is possible, but its mostly shotguns/carbines for hunting purposes. Or you can go shoot them at a shooting range too. Pistols can be owned too but you have to get evaluated for which reasons to own a handgun; you mostly have to proof you are part of a shooting club so you can shoot your pistol there
      June 23, 2022 6:56 PM MDT