Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Weather » How long can you stand to be in full sunlight?

How long can you stand to be in full sunlight?

I'm good for about 15 minutes.

Posted - July 6, 2022

Responses

Before .... ?

Before burning - 5 minutes.
    Before getting so sleepy that I can't stand up - about 20 minutes.
      July 6, 2022 12:54 PM MDT

Why do that, at least without a hat?
      July 6, 2022 1:00 PM MDT

I have a pool to tend to and a garden to water.
      July 6, 2022 5:12 PM MDT

I hope you wear a hat then.
      July 6, 2022 5:33 PM MDT

I have a large straw hat.
      July 6, 2022 5:48 PM MDT

I've only had to stand in the sun while waiting for the bus I take home from work because there is no shade on that side of the street.  In the summer, it takes about 2 minutes for me to get sweaty.
      July 6, 2022 1:13 PM MDT

With growing up playing outside a lot, and in teen years later being a sprinter in track, I'm used to being outside and "can take it" if I use sunblock, am working out and know I can profusely sweat and/or doing outside yardwork.
    I wear a head bandana, too.

To just be outside and be "officially" presentable? - - I guess I can do it for extended time if needed, but, as I so often say, I'd be thinking, "Wow - - why do people enjoy the sun so much? Clouds and cool temperatures are much more comfortable for me."

July 6, 2022 4:25 PM MDT

Then today was your lucky day. I actually had to wear long pants.
      July 6, 2022 5:13 PM MDT

Yes! Very much so. Got very tired of the sun in past week. I wore shorts again today and was comfortable.
    (And I've run and exercised outside for my adult life - I stopped my story up there in my teen years, ha.)
      July 6, 2022 5:52 PM MDT

Depends on time of year and what I'm wearing. Umpiring in summer in long sleeves with sunscreen on all exposed skin, about 6 hours. Less than two on the beach in swimming trunks.
    Winter? Bugger that, I'm inside keeping warm.
      July 6, 2022 7:42 PM MDT

What are you, a vampire? 
      July 7, 2022 11:00 AM MDT

There are no Jewish vampires.
      July 7, 2022 11:57 AM MDT

I fact-checked this and was truly surprised by what I learned. 
      July 7, 2022 4:57 PM MDT

That depends on the intensity and heat. Not long in very hot conditions.

{Edited because....}

I'd no sooner posted that, than the summary of the News on the radio announced a hot weather warning, with temperatures possibly as high as 33ºC in parts of England and hot weather for the next few days at least. 

These are unusual conditions for the British Isles, so many people are not accustomed to them and take risks with them. Those most at risks from the hazards of heat and UV radiation are the elderly and young children.  The advice includes avoiding as much as possible the greatest intensity of Sunlight, so the four hours centred on noon, i.e. 11am to 3pm British Summer Time - an hour ahead of physical noon.

It seems too that French wine-growers have been buying land for vineyards in SE England, with a view to the climate eventually making the region better for some varieties that their home ones will become! (In fact there have been vineyards in Southern England for decades, and English wines have long since fought off the wine-snobs who used to decree only French wines are any good.)  This post was edited by Durdle at July 11, 2022 2:00 AM MDT
      July 11, 2022 1:37 AM MDT