Discussion » Questions » Politics » Boris has resigned, but wants to remain as "caretaker" PM until his Party elects a new leader. Will the Tories let him?

Boris has resigned, but wants to remain as "caretaker" PM until his Party elects a new leader. Will the Tories let him?

Posted - July 7, 2022

Responses

I'm pretty sure he's out as of yesterday, but he may hold on until a successor is named.
      July 8, 2022 9:10 AM MDT

According to a popular Conservative Party blog, the contest could be concluded at early as 21st July, which is when the summer recess begins. So the ”caretaker“ period may not last long.

Edit: In fact it's the initial stages (the MPs voting to eliminate all but two candidates) that are set to conclude on 21st July. Then there is a campaigning period of several weeks followed by a full membership vote in late August or early September. This post was edited by Reverend Muhammadovsky at July 13, 2022 2:29 PM MDT
      July 8, 2022 9:41 AM MDT

Does it matter?
      July 8, 2022 10:13 AM MDT

UK Parliamentary politics is such a sh*tshow nowadays that I’m not sure that it does. 

I don’t think there is anyone among the (so far declared) contenders who can turn things around and give the party a new sense of purpose.

July 8, 2022 3:02 PM MDT