Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Finance » When you were younger did you ever come into a modest inheritance or windfall? How did you use it?

When you were younger did you ever come into a modest inheritance or windfall? How did you use it?

Posted - July 10, 2022

Responses

Nope, not ever, not even once, not one red cent, not one thin dime. We were so poor that as an example, we had to wash our paper plates and hang them on the clothesline to dry instead of just throwing them out and buying new ones.
    ~

July 10, 2022 9:24 PM MDT

Paper plates? Clothesline? In my neighborhood that made you well-off.  But it doesn't have to be an inheritance. Did you ever get a signing bonus or a settlement for early retirement,  for example? 
      July 11, 2022 5:09 AM MDT

I see now that I misunderstood your question, thank you for clarifying. I thought you only meant when we were of minor age. 

Yes, I received a reenlistment bonus in the Marine Corps, it coincided with my plans to get married, so it helped us out financially getting started as a new couple. My bride-to-be was coming from her country to the US, so there were added expenses that the average couple might not have incurred. I also rented an apartment, bought furniture and housewares for it, bought my first car, etc.

In retrospect, the amount of money was not astronomical even for that time period, because military pay itself isn’t either, but it was significant enough to be appreciated. If I recall correctly, it represented a good percentage of a year’s pay, a chunk of money that provided a nice cushion. (So many years have gone by that I can’t even remember how much it was.)
    ~

July 11, 2022 5:38 AM MDT

Sounds like it came at the right time.
      July 11, 2022 6:03 AM MDT

After my mother died in March 2020, I was able to pay off more than 100k of debts, including my student loan balance of 75k, and put another chunk into a brokerage account and my wife's and my IRAs.
      July 11, 2022 5:06 AM MDT

My condolences to you having lost your mother.
    ___

July 11, 2022 8:09 AM MDT

Comma needed after "younger." Can you spare one?
      July 11, 2022 11:18 AM MDT

How did I miss that? Maybe she distracted me with her womanly charms. Grrrrrrr.

~

July 12, 2022 7:33 AM MDT