Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » When was the last time you ate onions, raw or prepared?

When was the last time you ate onions, raw or prepared?

Posted - July 12, 2022

Responses

Saturday.  I put the last of the bulb in my salad.  I love raw onions!!
      July 12, 2022 3:30 PM MDT

Me too...I am pickling some right now.
      July 12, 2022 3:33 PM MDT

I absolutely despise eating raw onions, back in the Midwest where I was born and raised, I did not grow up with them being common sustenance. I prefer that they be cooked at least a little bit to cut down on the sharpness of their taste, but my number one preferred way to eat them is when they’ve been sautéed to limpness, to the point that their taste is actually sweet. Think of onions and mushrooms that accompany a meal, for instance.

Unfortunately, I now live in San Diego, mere minutes from the Mexican border, which means that around here there is a LOT of that culture’s influence in how things are eaten. Raw onions are a staple of everyday eating here, so in my decades of living here, I have become more accustomed to it, but that is not to say that my preferences have been altered.

One garnish that is offered for a lot of Mexican food is pico de gallo (translates to beak of the rooster). It is comprised of raw onions, raw tomatoes, raw peppers, lime juice, and salt. All of the veggies are diced to minute oblivion. The list of ingredients may vary also. Certain recipes or dishes of Mexican food include pico de gallo mixed into or cooked into them instead of as a garnish, while in others it is offered on the side.

The day before yesterday, I requested an order of carne asada (roasted meat) fries to go, it was drowning in pico de gallo. The order was so large that I couldn’t finish it in one sitting, so I put it in the car while I was running errands. As soon as I pulled up at the house about 45 minutes later, my wife was next to the driveway watering her plants and talking to them, I opened the rear hatch of the SUV and she said, “WOW, IT SMELLS LIKE ONIONS IN THERE! What did you buy, a 20-pound bag of them?”
    ~

July 12, 2022 5:35 PM MDT

That pico de gallo sounds delish. Interesting, pico is the prefix for 1 trillionth. Minute oblivion. Thanks for the recipe.
      July 12, 2022 5:42 PM MDT

I will be one of the first people to admit that it tastes great, but with the caveat that I think it would even taste better if the onions were sautéed, and in fact, the peppers too. If they didn’t have that sharp and harsh onion taste and pepper taste, the whole garnish would be a lot better. I can’t stand having onion breath; I know how much it turns me off when others around me have it and don’t even seem to care because it’s so accepted.  Yuck.
    ~

July 12, 2022 8:42 PM MDT

Today. 
      July 12, 2022 6:36 PM MDT

It's been at least a couple of weeks, I think. I cook with onions (soups, sauces mostly), but I never eat them raw. To me, raw onion feels like it burns your mouth, just like it burns your eyes when you cut them. I don't understand how people enjoy that sensation. I know they do, with the hot peppers and all that, but I don't understand it. 

They're wonderful when cooked very well done, as Randy described. I think I'm going to make some French onion soup w/mushrooms soon. It's been a while and it is really delicious! 

July 12, 2022 6:53 PM MDT

“I think I'm going to make some French onion soup with mushrooms soon. It's been a while and it is really delicious!”

Questions: what time should I be there, and what is the dress code (or the undress code, if that’s how you roll, cough, cough.)

P.S. On the serious tip, thanks for the nod about my comments on the proper way to prepare onions for consumption.
    ~

July 12, 2022 8:04 PM MDT

Let's say 6:30. 

I recommend light-colored casual clothing. Light beige is a good choice for camouflaging the dog hair. 

July 13, 2022 4:20 PM MDT

Night before last. I like onion (cooked) but it doesn't like me, so I can't eat a lot of it. Italian without onions and garlic is unthinkable.
      July 12, 2022 7:20 PM MDT

One time or another.
      July 12, 2022 8:19 PM MDT

I often put a slice of raw onion on sandwiches with cold cuts and I dice an onion and use some of it when I make guacamole.  I also put it in salmon salad.  
      July 13, 2022 8:40 AM MDT

Any hopes of reconciliation were just dashed. Both raw onion and guacamole? Really, Spunky? REALLY? You clearly never wanted this relationship of ours to work, that’s obvious to me now. Grrrrrrr.
    ~

July 13, 2022 8:49 AM MDT

I didn't know how else to tell you without hurting your feelings.  Better that mine get hurt.

EDIT:  I didn't tell you that I use mayo, too. This post was edited by Spunky at July 13, 2022 9:46 AM MDT
      July 13, 2022 8:57 AM MDT

I knew about the mayo. That’s what prompted the divorce in the first place. Grrrrrrr.
    :(

July 13, 2022 9:46 AM MDT

Listen, Mr. Perfect ...  Did I complain when you filled every available nook and cranny with your tilde collection?  
      July 13, 2022 10:42 AM MDT

That’s just normal behavior on my part. One can never have too large of a tilde collection. 

~

July 13, 2022 10:55 AM MDT

I beg to differ when you've taken over all the closets and I have nowhere to hang my clothes.
      July 13, 2022 12:29 PM MDT