Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Do you have a dramatic memory of the first time you heard a song/singer/group?

Do you have a dramatic memory of the first time you heard a song/singer/group?

I first heard Christina Perri and her "Jar of Hearts" while driving my car to a job.

Within seconds I had to safely drive to side of the road and stop the car. 
I sat still, silent and I listened.
Chills.
I thought,' "Who is this singing? what a voice. What a great song."

I was immediately a huge Perri fan and I remain one.

I think of her every time I drive by that spot on that rural road.

Thank you for bettering my life Christina.

Posted - July 21, 2022

Responses

Amira. I was blown away by the voice of Maria Callas bursting from the throat of a baby.
      July 21, 2022 11:15 PM MDT

And I was, too, the first time I watched and listened of one of your posts of her.
    :)
      July 22, 2022 5:26 PM MDT

I just remembered after reading this question.  It was on a school field trip to a symphony.  OMG I almost jumped out of my seat and could hardly contain myself when they began playing.   It was so beautiful, moving, exciting, and overwhelming. That's all I remember. 
      July 22, 2022 9:30 PM MDT

I get it, yeah. :)
    Orchestral music often does similar things for me.
      July 25, 2022 6:44 PM MDT

“Harden My Heart” and “Find Another Fool” by Quarterflash. 

Laura Branigan singing “Gloria” blew me out of the water. That led me to seek other music of hers, and both “Self Control” and “Solitaire” continued my fascination.

Almost anything by Taylor Dayne, but especially these four: “l’ll Always Love You”, “Tell It To My Heart”, “Prove Your Love”, and “Love Will Lead You Back”.

I heard “La Isla Bonita” many times before I knew a lot about its who, what, when, etc., and I remember how much I liked it even before finally finding out that Madonna was signing it.

Catchy lyrics and a snappy tune always do it for me. One such selection is Phil Collins’ “Sussudio”. The speculation as to the word’s origin and meaning added to the popularity of the song. Everyone was asking, “Who is she? Who is this Japanese woman Phil is singing about?” Japanese people were wondering about this new English-language name that was being bandied about. 

“No More Lies” by Michel’le introduced a unique voice and a theme that really caught my attention, as it did if many people. 
    ~

July 22, 2022 10:57 PM MDT

That was fun to read, thanks, Randy D!  

Branigan's "Gloria" hit me the same way!! That song still holds up flawlessly to me!

:)
      July 25, 2022 6:44 PM MDT

July 26, 2022 10:01 AM MDT