Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » With the world seemingly in love with "The Shawshank Redemption" movie - does anyone give credit to Thomas Newman for his music score?

With the world seemingly in love with "The Shawshank Redemption" movie - does anyone give credit to Thomas Newman for his music score?

I rarely, if EVER, see/hear/read anyone give credit to him

Endless praise for Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. And director Frank Darabont.

Yes, I think it's a great movie yet I've only seen it three times. It's MUCH too emotional for me. Too many disturbing-for-me scenes. I simply do not enjoy watching it.

Yet, I've listened to Newman's music score countless times - - thousands, probably. Newman makes the movie superb, too -- yet no one ever mentions him (my opinion).

Posted - August 30, 2022

Responses

With a nod, of course to good ol' Wolfgang Amadeus M!
      August 30, 2022 8:42 PM MDT

Very true, yes!
    And that excellent-to-me scene with Mozart's music is literally the only time I hear the music of the movie mentioned. With respect to Wolfgang, I still believe Newman deserves more mention and credit, too. :)

And, off topic, William Sadler deserves a lot of credit. His 'Heywood' character is my favorite character in the movie. :)
      August 30, 2022 9:00 PM MDT

Not everyone is a music aficionado, especially and specifically not to the extent that you are. I know absolutely nothing about who did the musical score of that particular movie, nor of about 99% of any other movies that I like or have seen or know about. It’s not an indictment against Thomas Newman, it’s not an indictment against anyone or their profession; I just don’t follow that stuff. Some people know a lot about movie directors, producers, executive producers, casting directors, set designers, choreographers,  wardrobe designers, makeup artists, hairdressers, historians, critics, promoters, location agents, lighting engineers, sound engineers, screenwriters, stunt people, animal wranglers, caterers, animators, gaffers, publicity agents, language couches, etc. We all focus on things that we find more important than others.
    ~

August 31, 2022 6:48 AM MDT

I agree with you all the way.

I guess since a very young age I've always been drawn to music in movies. after listening to the score so much, maybe I thought I wanted to give attention.

And after collecting hundreds of music score recordings, one of my favorite quotes from a film music composer (I believe it was John Barry but I'm unsure) is that he believed that if a film composer has done his of her job effectively, no one should notice the music. The music is there to support the film, not distract.  :)  Cool. And I get from where he's coming - he makes sense.

And Newman's score is along those lines -- very "understated," never "in-your-face." But so wondrous to me, too. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 1, 2022 6:51 AM MDT
      August 31, 2022 7:13 PM MDT

Honestly, I've seen that movie a few times and no music memory entered my head with this question.  This means I will have to watch it again to see what I obviously missed. 
      August 31, 2022 12:04 PM MDT

Your thoughts here probably support the excellence of Newman's music - - I'll post what I wrote to Randy D, too :

And after collecting hundreds of music score recordings, one of my favorite quotes from a film music composer (I believe it was John Barry but I'm unsure)  -- paraphrased -- is that he believed that if a film composer has done his of her job effectively, no one should notice the music in the movie. The music is there to support the film, not distract. :)  Cool. And I get from where he's coming - he makes sense.

And Newman's score is along those lines -- very "understated," never "in-your-face." But so wondrous to me, too. :)

The music is so subtle. 

And I admit I'm terribly biased, having loved listening to movie scores for so much of my life. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 1, 2022 6:51 AM MDT
      August 31, 2022 7:16 PM MDT

I really enjoy music in films, but I don't pay attention to who wrote the scores. 

I do love Shawshank Redemption! 
      August 31, 2022 7:39 PM MDT

Now I'm ready to post the entire movie score - - but I'm trying to refrain.  :)

I actually went to a few movies only because I knew Thomas Newman wrote the music scores.  :)
      September 1, 2022 5:01 PM MDT

You know, I might be able to listen to it as background music while working or doing yoga or - hey...  I'll just put it on right now! 
      September 1, 2022 5:19 PM MDT

hope you liek it. Now I'm all nervous.

But since you've see nth movie, this is not a 

PLOT SPOILER!!!! "THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION"!!

on the soundtrack, it's called "Brooks Was Here"    (I don't even like thinking about that part of the movie)

but this music . . . 

breathtaking to me, and so subtle.

Be Well! - - see you later  :)    I've been listening to the score recording myself.  

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 1, 2022 6:10 PM MDT
      September 1, 2022 6:07 PM MDT