Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What are some technological items or products you use but at one time you never thought you would ever use them? Touch-screen is mine.

What are some technological items or products you use but at one time you never thought you would ever use them? Touch-screen is mine.

Yes, decades ago when touch-screen technology was new, I thought it was wasn’t for me because the first few times I tried to use on-screen keyboards, fat-fingering syndrome took over. I would clumsily hit several surrounding letters or numbers instead of just the one I wanted. it made me think that it was really made for people who have small, dainty fingertips, and meh, besides, it was probably just a passing fancy, a fad, and even though it wouldn’t last very long, I didn’t need it anyway. I could just put down the electronics and instead pick up a piece of 8.5x11 paper, put it in the Smith-Corona typewriter and hack away at the physical keys to my heart’s content.

[~]

Posted - September 12, 2022

Responses

An iPhone, but Verizon is not supporting 3G by the end of the year and if I'm going to buy a new phone, I might as well get a 5G.  Just today, II had my service switched to my new phone.  Now, all I have to do is figure out how to use it without giving myself a stroke!
      September 12, 2022 3:34 PM MDT

Just keep in mind that learning new things can help prevent dementia. It creates new neural pathways that get used when the existing ones aren't functioning. 
      September 12, 2022 5:30 PM MDT

That assumes I don't shoot myself before I figure out how to make a phone call!
      September 12, 2022 6:47 PM MDT

There's probably an app for  that. :) :)
      September 12, 2022 7:39 PM MDT

That made me think of a T-shirt I like.  :)

EDIT: I'm not trying to 'spam'  -- only wanted to post the  image, not the website
    Cat there's a nap for that life is good cat nap shirt This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 13, 2022 9:26 AM MDT
      September 13, 2022 12:45 AM MDT

That's what scares me!
      September 13, 2022 3:33 AM MDT

I made the switch to iPhone 13 last year. It’s not that hard, and the iPhone complements my MacBook Pro and has extra features like a pedometer.
      September 12, 2022 10:22 PM MDT

I'm waiting for a phone that cleans the house.  Until then, I don't need all those other bells and whistles.
      September 13, 2022 3:27 AM MDT

The Internet!

I avoided it for a long time, but I think my first serious use was in finding the National Grid Reference (UK Ordnance Survey Map system) for a particular geographical feature not on the maps themselves.

''''''

A so-called "smart"-'phone.

I was talked into a complicated package involving one, and LG2017, a few years ago. It was difficult to use, and such a clumsy, heavy object, that I sold it to my sister and bought a simple, cheap-and-cheerful thing with buttons not virtual keys; and registered it as PAYG.

It's rated as "3G" - not sure what that means but I gather it is a level of service and it will end at some time fairly soon. I have no idea what that will mean in practice for me.

What's particularly striking about my little DORO 'phone is that telephone calls by voice are its primary purpose, texts only secondary (and awkward). On that LG, voice-telephony appeared to have been a subsidiary feature. A portable radio-telephone by which one may readily hold conversations... I wonder if that will catch on?
      September 12, 2022 4:16 PM MDT

I know exactly what you mean.  I just got an iPhone which everyone says is so easy to use.  Meanwhile, I'm ready to tear my hair out trying to figure out how to make a call.

As for the 3G, Verizon will no longer support anything on a 3G network  No calls out, no calls in - nothing.  That's the only reason I bought a new phone.  Other than phone service and needing to get some kind of code to operate something, I have no need for all the extra crap.
      September 13, 2022 3:31 AM MDT

I resisted getting a cell phone for years, and then I'd frequently forget it when I left home or forget it in the car (that sometimes still happens). 

September 12, 2022 5:41 PM MDT

I always keep my phone in my pocketbook, so I never forget to take it with me.  I also never turn it on unless I want to make a call.
      September 13, 2022 3:34 AM MDT

Yeah, I've considered getting a landline again so that I could leave it turned off unless using it.  Last time I had one, it pretty much only got used by telemarketers. :(
      September 13, 2022 3:58 AM MDT

I was able to use whatever service blocks those telemarketers.  One or two get through, but I've had an unlisted number since I started service, so there are fewer calls.
      September 14, 2022 11:47 AM MDT

Thanks for the tip! 
      September 14, 2022 4:26 PM MDT

It’s true! No matter how much I call you, I haven’t been able to reach you even once! Grrrrrrr. 

~

September 14, 2022 5:12 PM MDT

Well, up until yesterday, if you were trying to call me on my iPhone, I didn't have one.
      September 14, 2022 7:01 PM MDT

Similar to others, a cell phone.
    But, even at that, I do not have the smartest of smartest phones, with seemingly endless required updates.
    I'm still very satisfied with an at-home  desktop computer -- I carry the world on my shoulders too much in life. I do not need to carry it with me on a phone.
    (Yes, I speak only for loser me, not the up-to-date rest of humankind.)
      September 13, 2022 12:54 AM MDT

You aren't a loser and, if you are, so am I!  The only reason I bought a new phone is because 3G is not going to be supported by the end of the year.  I just got the phone and already there's an update.  BAH!
      September 13, 2022 3:32 AM MDT

Thanks, Spunky!  :)

Yeah, I'm content with a flip phone.
      September 13, 2022 5:20 PM MDT

You are definitely not a loser for thinking that way, Buddy, I am sure a lot of people agree with you, I know I do!
    ~

September 13, 2022 7:20 AM MDT

Thanks, Randy D!  :)
      September 13, 2022 5:20 PM MDT

Here is one for you Welby. Funny as hell.

September 13, 2022 9:36 AM MDT

Yesss!! I have seen this several times over years. SO funny! (And I do tell myself that a lot!! Ha!)
    And what makes the skit so funny to me, along with Newhart who always makes me laugh, is the other woman here. I forget her name but she's flawlessly effective and funny, too.  
    Thanks for sharing it here. And, in context of my answer, I hear you. :)
      September 13, 2022 5:47 PM MDT