Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Business » Major (or most widely recognized) credit card companies tout their cards as accepted in more places worldwide than other companies’ cards.

Major (or most widely recognized) credit card companies tout their cards as accepted in more places worldwide than other companies’ cards.

Which brand name of credit card have you had rejected either domestically in your country or while in a country foreign to yours simply because the merchant or business didn’t accept that particular card, but not because your account was declined?

~

Posted - September 18, 2022

Responses

aa as accepted 
      September 18, 2022 2:18 PM MDT

Thanks for catching that! It has been corrected!
    ~
      September 18, 2022 7:15 PM MDT

Neither of my Mastercards have been rejected by a merchant.
      September 18, 2022 5:29 PM MDT

American Express.....many smaller businesses do not take it because the fee is normally higher than MC, Visa and Discover. 
      September 18, 2022 5:41 PM MDT

Thank you, I was not aware of that. 

~

September 18, 2022 7:16 PM MDT

Most energy providers in Australia (including Origin, my employer) accept Visa, Mastercard, Bpay, cash or cheque. Amex and Diners Club are rarely accepted - partially due to merchant fees, but moreso because most direct debit systems operate using a sixteen digit number and those only have fifteen.

September 19, 2022 2:40 AM MDT

Sams Club in the beginning took no cards, then they took only Discover.  I think they now take all of them but am not sure.

I remember when businesses, quite often, did not take both MC and VISA.   We had a credit card but never used it.  It stayed in a drawer in the dresser.  I did not start using one at all until the late 90s.  We did not have what we could not pay for.  I am still like that but do use a credit card for online purchases as it is the safest option.  It is paid off each month.  The one I now have has a cash-back feature which is surprisingly helpful and fun.  It also doubles the warranty (up to two years) for items purchased with it (exceptions exist of course, such as cars). 
      September 19, 2022 2:48 PM MDT

Similarly, I went well into my mid to late twenties without ever having a credit card at all. I was active duty military, I first lived in the barracks or aboard ship, I ate in the cho hall or galley, I wasn’t in any market for furnishings or housewares or trips/vacations, etc., etc., etc. Even when I got married, we went for years without credit cards. Once I finally got my first one, it was not only months before it ever got used, it was also rare that we used it. We paid off all charges before interest incurred, but soon began to use the repayment of debt as our advantage establishing good risk.

Far too many young people are targeted by credit card companies that send cards in the mail with flashy advertising making them seem to be “free money” and with extremely small print in legalese. When our children began receiving such mail in their high school years, my wife and I ensured that they didn’t get caught up in those traps.   
    ~

September 19, 2022 3:42 PM MDT

I still don't, my Visa is a Debit card. If the funds aren't in the account, it can't be used.
      September 20, 2022 4:09 PM MDT