Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Music » What remake of a duet do you like more than the original version? Please name not only the song, but also the two pairs of singers.

What remake of a duet do you like more than the original version? Please name not only the song, but also the two pairs of singers.

[~]

Posted - October 20, 2022

Responses

As I sat here a long time trying to think of my own answer, I thought of my answer.
    And, immediately, I realized that I believe you have shared the same two songs on the site as an example of a remake that you prefer over the original. 

I prefer Daryl Hall's and John Oates' (Hall and Oates) version of "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling"
    over the original version by
    Bill Medley and bobby Hatfield (The Righteous Brothers).

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 22, 2022 9:54 AM MDT
      October 21, 2022 7:01 PM MDT

Phil Spector had a bad habit of crapping all over everything he ever produced. Not being possessed of any great musical ability himself, he still stamped his own signature on it with grandiose orchestrations. McCartney was so incensed by what he did to the Beatles' penultimate album, Let It Be (released after Abbey Road but in fact recorded before it), that he later repurchased the rights and released a "naked" version which he claimed was closer to what the Fabs wanted.
      October 21, 2022 7:44 PM MDT

Yes, you are right that I’ve written about that particular Righteous Brothers song and Hall & Oates remake of it. When the Hall & Oates version was released, I had never heard the original version, and it was many years after listening to the remake that I finally heard the original, perhaps five years or more. I was already a die-hard Hall & Oates fan, so naturally I loved the remake. The original sounded horrible to me, and I dismissed it immediately. When I found out it that the H&O version was a remake, I revisited the original with the openness to give it a fair shake, but it was not to be. Having grown so accustomed to H&O singing it, and to the musical arrangement it has, I never took to the Righteous Brothers original. To this day, I still prefer the above-mentioned remake. 
    ~

October 21, 2022 8:44 PM MDT

Let's Call the Whole Thing Off - I prefer the 1957 cover by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong over Fred and Ginger's 1937 original. Better recording techniques were available, and F&G, while being great actors and dancers, weren't really singers.
      October 21, 2022 7:36 PM MDT

Thank you, great answer.
    ~

October 21, 2022 8:34 PM MDT

I love this song which was originally done by Ray Charles (I'm almost sure).   Sonny and Cher did it in 1971 and I loved it.  But when Kenny Rogers and Dottie West did it in 1979 it became my favorite version.  It still is, and I'm sure others have recorded it since then.

October 22, 2022 1:31 PM MDT