Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Are you familiar with the counterpart to Thanksgiving Day called "Friendsgiving Day"?

Are you familiar with the counterpart to Thanksgiving Day called "Friendsgiving Day"?

Friendsgiving was popular a few years ago among young people who can't travel home for Turkey Day because of a lack of funds or because of their work schedules. Instead, they gather in small groups at a friend's place or in the college dorm.

(I heard of it for the first time in 2017; I do not know whether it still gets practiced these days or not. I originally posted this question then, its link appears below.)

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/45099/are-you-familiar-with-the-counterpart-to-thanksgiving-day-called

~

Posted - November 18, 2022

Responses

No such thing.  I wish people would stop bastardizing everything that's traditional.  Spending TG with friends doesn't alter the fact that the observance is to give thanks.  To God.
      November 19, 2022 12:33 PM MST

Gee, I’ve never heard of Thanksgiving being referred to as TG. Is that a new bastardization?

~

November 19, 2022 1:02 PM MST

And here I thought it was for people who can't stand to be around their families, or whose families can't stand to be around them. 

November 20, 2022 7:48 AM MST

Yes I'm familiar with friendsgiving, not everyone has a Norman Rockwell family to spend Thanksgiving with. 
      November 28, 2022 4:59 PM MST