Discussion » Questions » Politics » Are we pleasantly surprised that prominent gay Republicans persuaded GOP senators to support the Respect for Marriage Act?

Are we pleasantly surprised that prominent gay Republicans persuaded GOP senators to support the Respect for Marriage Act?

Good for them!

Posted - December 8, 2022

Responses

There are gay Republicans?

December 8, 2022 4:54 PM MST

Of course there are. There are gay and lesbian people in all geographic, religious, and political corners. Why do you think same-sex marriage was accepted and made legal so quickly in so many states?
      December 8, 2022 5:02 PM MST

Stereotype joke - the "God hates f*gs" crowd all identify as Republican.
      December 9, 2022 2:47 AM MST

But obviously not all Republicans identify with that opinion. I'm surprised your thinking is that shallow and simplistic. Stereotypes and jokes like that are mainly useful for avoiding deeper thought, but not much else. Perhaps you would realize that if you personally knew Republicans with, for example, conservative views on fiscal issues like defense spending and moderate views on ones like abortion rights, sexual orientation, and marriage equality. Apparently you don't.

December 9, 2022 3:38 AM MST

I was pleasantly surprised.  Considering how many gay and interracial marriages there are, they would have bene fools not to vote for this legislation.  
      December 9, 2022 8:03 AM MST

Especially considering something some people miss, that homosexuality is a personal and sexual issue, not a political one. It obviously transcends politics.
      December 9, 2022 8:41 AM MST

True, and each year there are more LGBTQ people being elected to office.  I don't care what they do in their bedrooms and they have no business dictating what should go on in mine.
      December 9, 2022 2:30 PM MST