Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Are there (a) various times in your life when Saint Valentine’s Day has meant A LOT to you, and (b) other times in your life that it hasn’t?

Are there (a) various times in your life when Saint Valentine’s Day has meant A LOT to you, and (b) other times in your life that it hasn’t?

This is not directed to the people to whom Saint Valentine’s Day has NEVER meant anything. 

[This question was inspired by a radio bit on the morning show wherein callers were asked to give humorous stories from their experiences or opinions that compare RomComs released during Christmas holidays to RomComs released during the three weeks leading up to February 14th. At the end of each story, the on air personality asked the caller what she expected to happen this next Valentine’s Day. One woman said she is in her mid sixties and from when she was a teen and throughout her twenties and thirties, it was the most important day of the year to her in evaluating guys with whom she had been in relationships. She broke up with more than one guy who in her mind had failed to lavish her with extremely expensive dates, assuming that the amount of money they spent indicated how important she was to them. Later in life, however, she changed drastically, recognizing how shallow a diva she had become, and by her fifties, Valentine’s Day had dropped in her priorities to almost being nonexistent. By mid sixties, she hadn’t even focused on it for years until hearing the question asked as she listened to the radio.]
~

Posted - December 14, 2022

Responses

c. It has never meant anything to me.Just another made-up Hallmark day.
      December 14, 2022 10:23 AM MST

This is not directed to the people to whom Saint Valentine’s Day has NEVER meant anything. 
      December 14, 2022 5:06 PM MST

It is a nice day to make special for people who are married or otherwise in a romantic relationship.  Without that it still a day to be sure and tell those you love that you love them. 
      December 14, 2022 10:51 AM MST

Thank you. Listen, along those same lines, are there (a) various times in your life that Saint Valentine’s Day has meant A LOT to you personally, and (b) other times in your life that it has not?
    ~

December 14, 2022 5:11 PM MST

When I was an elementary school student (second through sixth grade, at least), my teachers in my school had all of us give each other Valentine's Day cards.  I really loved getting/making cards for every classmate. I thought quite a bit on what I'd write to each person on his or her card. And we each made our own Valentine's Day box and all of us classmates would put our cards for our classmates in their boxes.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 16, 2022 7:39 AM MST
      December 14, 2022 8:58 PM MST

Lol, what memories this brings back, Welby. I remember doing the same thing in elementary school, I never really understood what we were doing nor why we were doing it. I asked myself, (((Why am I writing these things to other boys in the class?)))  Will you be mine? To tell the truth, I really didn’t even understand why I was writing into the girls either. Will you be mine? (((My what? Ewwwww, bleh, icky girls!))) Oh, my how I have changed!

~

December 14, 2022 9:20 PM MST

That actor in the third photo looks familiar to me for some reason.  :)
      December 15, 2022 7:52 PM MST

He’s Leon Phelps, the Ladies’ Man, as portrayed by actor Tim Meadows.

~

December 15, 2022 8:01 PM MST

Thanks. I looked up even more of his work. I have seen, and enjoyed, "Mean Girls," but I'm surprised if I remember him from that. And I know you've often used this picture with him holding a drink but I'm thinking I may have seen him in things and just don't remember. :)
      December 15, 2022 8:07 PM MST

But what’s up with all the photos of people other than you?
      December 15, 2022 8:25 PM MST

What do you mean? These are pictures of me. (Grrrrrrr.)

~

December 15, 2022 8:34 PM MST

YOU'RE Leon Phelps? Why did you refer to him in third person?
      December 15, 2022 8:49 PM MST

December 15, 2022 10:37 PM MST

I was going to answer along those same lines. Good memories! 
      December 15, 2022 7:04 AM MST

Yes, me, too.  :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 17, 2022 7:47 AM MST
      December 15, 2022 7:52 PM MST

(((You too? You’re the one who wrote the post to which Jane is referring.)))

~

December 15, 2022 8:04 PM MST

That guy could be me looking in the mirror at myself, "Welby, WHAT did you just say?"

I was just agreeing, again, with how Jane S replied, that I have good memories of it.  :)
      December 15, 2022 8:09 PM MST

I hated doing that and thought it was stupid, but I played along to keep the peace.
      December 16, 2022 7:40 AM MST

I can see not liking it, yeah. 
    I was just one who liked it.
      December 16, 2022 6:11 PM MST

Yes, it meant a lot prior to age 20-30. In high school, it seemed very important to be coupled on Valentine's Day.  I can't remember exactly when I decided it was complete BS. 
      December 15, 2022 7:36 AM MST

To add more to my other answer, the card sharing in elementary school was when the Day personally meant a lot to me. After that, it's never meant much of anything particularly deep.

I only had a potential life-long, committed partner once in my life -- I've shared before, he promised we'd be together forever. Until he changed his mind. I've never had a mate to be My Deeply Romantic Valentine partner.

Valentine's Day has never meant anything romantic to me. Even in elementary school, other than some crushes on some guys, I always took a 'I-Appreciate-Your-Friendship' view of Valentine's Day -- Be My Valentine meant simply to be my friend- - but that personally means a lot to me.

I'm possibly rambling. I don't know if this answer makes sense to the world but it makes sense to me.  :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 17, 2022 7:49 AM MST
      December 15, 2022 7:59 PM MST

It makes sense, great answers.
    ~
      December 15, 2022 8:10 PM MST

Ditto, except for the Valentines Days that someone gave me chocolates!
      December 15, 2022 9:25 PM MST

Yes
      December 15, 2022 8:10 PM MST