Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » For anyone planning to sell their car in 2023, may I present some advice?

For anyone planning to sell their car in 2023, may I present some advice?

1) It's never too late. If you've been trying to sell your car for 20 years without success, that is no reason to give up hope.

2) You have to put your car out there.

3) Remember, the buyer is just as nervous as you are.

4) Don't put your buyer on a pedestal. It's up to them to impress you, not the other way round.

5) Exercise Drive your car every day

6) Shower Wash your car every day

7) Be honest.

8) Fake it till you make it. If you convince yourself that your car is a Ferrari, buyers will see it as a Ferrari.

9) If a buyer rejects your car because it's ugly, then it just proves he or she is shallow. You deserve someone better.

10) If you find you can't sell your car, maybe you need to lower your standards. Be realistic - you're not going to get an aristocrat or a movie star to buy your car.

11) Don't seal the deal on a first date meeting with a potential buyer. The buyer will respect your car more if you make him wait.

12) My friend manages to sell two, maybe three, cars every week, and they're way uglier, slower and more damaged than yours. If he can do it, so can you.

13) Finally - stop watching videos of people selling their cars. It may give you some short-term pleasure, but it will give you unrealistic expectations and will ultimately make it harder for you to perform well in a real-life sales situation. It's all fake - the cars are given a special wax treatment to make them look shinier and newer than they really are, the buyers look nothing like that in real life, and as for the obligatory "money shot" . . . don't even get me started! Nobody buys cars with cash nowadays, it's all done by bank transfer.

Disclaimer: Irony intended. The original version was posted on a forum for long-term single people.

Posted - January 1, 2023

Responses

I've been driving my vehicle for going on 24 years, this is my last car I will ever own. 
      January 1, 2023 2:26 PM MST

That’s good advice.  A good piece of automotive advice that really helped me is “You’ll find your car keys when you stop looking for them”.  I lost my car keys once.  I was looking for them for weeks.  Then, once I stopped looking for them, they came to me!  I was having breakfast one morning, and that’s when my keys crawled across the table and nudged my hand.

Even though I’ve married for 7½ years, I get your post thanks to my single friends and family members. 

January 1, 2023 3:16 PM MST

I know exactly what you mean! For instance, take my car . . . no, I really mean it, take my car! Please, TAKE MY CAR!

(No one under 45 years old will get this Henny Youngman reference without looking it up.)
    ~

January 2, 2023 5:54 AM MST

The joy of being older. :)  Happy New Year, Randy.  Hope it's a really good one.
      January 2, 2023 6:40 AM MST

January 2, 2023 10:37 AM MST

Once  buyers find out that it's an older model, they don't seem to care that it's in excellent condition with low mileage. This post was edited by Jane S at January 3, 2023 7:26 AM MST
      January 2, 2023 6:32 PM MST

~

January 2, 2023 9:23 PM MST

Blimey, if it took me twenty years to sell a car I've no hope of selling it.

Errr. Oh. Um, my last relationship ended twenty-two years ago!

OK. Ditto, pro-rata.
      January 6, 2023 11:27 AM MST