Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Shuhak
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » “Don’t try this at home!” Have you ever tried to replicate some dangerous act/action/feat/stunt that you saw someone else do onscreen?

“Don’t try this at home!” Have you ever tried to replicate some dangerous act/action/feat/stunt that you saw someone else do onscreen?

[*Regardless of whether or not it had the warning attached to it.]
[~]

Posted - January 7, 2023

Responses

Only if I've determined they're not dangerous to me. 

I have utilized a few training techniques demonstrated by Cesar Milan, The Dog Whisperer. I recall there being warnings about not doing so without the assistance/advice of a professional trainer. 

I also think I learned how to move snapping turtles from roadways by watching some wildlife program, which I'm sure contained a similar warning. 

How about you, Randy D? 
      January 7, 2023 8:18 AM MST

Great answer, thank you. Those training techniques were not potentially dangerous to the dogs, were they? From what I know of you, I doubt it, meaning that you would never do anything that might endanger dogs.

For my part, nope, I’ve never done anything like that.
    ~

January 7, 2023 8:49 AM MST

Of course not! The only techniques I've employed involve a finger poke and sound they don't like and ignoring. I wouldn't try the poke/sound with a dog I didn't know. 

January 8, 2023 11:24 AM MST

How do you remove the turtles from roadways? I have encountered one snapper on the road.
      January 7, 2023 9:49 AM MST

For larger snappers, it's best to have 2 people, one to distract the mouth with a stick and one to lift with 2 hands at the very back of the carapace, near the tail... out of reach of that mouth! 

Always put them a few feet on the side of the road they were headed for. Don't take them home and try to turn them into pets.  And wash your hands after touching them. That's about it. 
      January 8, 2023 11:30 AM MST

Nope.  I'm not stupid.
      January 7, 2023 11:59 AM MST

No, why would someone do that?
      January 7, 2023 3:26 PM MST

Different people do all types of things for all types of reasons, and not always good reasons. There are a variety of reasons people might try a dangerous act they’ve seen onscreen, such as on a dare, proof of strength/ability/agility, to challenge themselves, to test themselves or to test the theory/product/machine/animal, drunkenness, stupidity, to show off, to upstage someone else, suicide attempt, for monetary gain, on a bet, rite of passage, etc.
    ~

January 8, 2023 9:24 AM MST

Oh, ok.
      January 9, 2023 3:22 PM MST

That desire was whupped out of me at an early age. When I was about three years old, my father had painted the front porch of the house with that gray porch paint. When I approached the door, he warned me to stay off that porch because the paint was wet. I stood at the screen door for quite a while looking out at the porch. At some point, I opened the door a bit and reached down to touch the paint. It felt smooth and dry to me, so I stepped out. It turns out that only the surface was dry, the underside of the paint was still wet. You've seen the action in dozens of cartoons, feet and hands twirling until I fell on my butt. No way to hide my mistake. I'd made streaks and marks all over that paint job and my corduroy overalls were covered with gray paint. It did not end well.
      January 9, 2023 6:35 AM MST