Active Now

DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Isn't it cute to ask little kids their choice for president and why?

Isn't it cute to ask little kids their choice for president and why?

They have opinions too.

Posted - November 8, 2016

Responses

Maybe to an extent, but I wouldn't expect children to understand things they are not yet psychologically developed sufficiently to understand. I don't think it would be fair to expect more than they are psychologically capable of.
      November 8, 2016 12:57 PM MST

My point is they see the characters, not by understanding necessarily but by sensing.
      November 8, 2016 1:01 PM MST

I see what you are saying, SH, but the unpleasant truth of the matter is that not everybody is sincere and honest, especially in the corrupt world of politics, and children won't realise that until they are older. Some people have (Heaven forbid) Jekyll-and-Hyde split personalities, and sometimes we don't discover that about certain individuals until we are adults. How many little children understand that?
      November 8, 2016 1:06 PM MST

I'm not saying they understand by intellect, but their senses will in many cases be better developed than the adults. Who was it who said "The Emperor Wears No Clothes"?
      November 8, 2016 1:11 PM MST

That was Jack Herer (1939-2010). He began work on it in 1973 and it was eventually published in 1985. What does that have to do with the topic of this discussion? I haven't read "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" myself, so I wouldn't know.
      November 8, 2016 1:16 PM MST

"The Emperor's New Clothes", a short tale by Hans Christian Andersen. It's all about what we talk about here, children seeing the naked truth whereas adults neglect whats in front of them... It's all empty barrels talk with promises of what will be false glitter.
      November 8, 2016 1:26 PM MST

Hmmm. That wasn't what came up when I Googled "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" (which was what you mentioned in your earlier posting), so I guess it has nothing to do with Hans Christian Andersen's differently-titled "The Emperor's New Clothes". This puts a completely different perspective on it.
      November 8, 2016 1:38 PM MST

The boy says "But he isn't wearing anything at all!". It's talked about as "The Emperror Wears No Clothes". I'm sorry I didn't make the exact and correct quote. 
      November 8, 2016 1:46 PM MST

The phrase has been often used and does indeed originate with Anderson's tale.  Whether that phrase is used verbatim within the story or not, it is where the concept comes from.  It is also undoubtedly the origin of the book title. 

It simply means that people often believe the fiction, whether in political or social constructs, rather than the obvious truth.  

November 8, 2016 2:01 PM MST

Ah, it's beginning to make sense now. :)
      November 8, 2016 2:22 PM MST
  • Bez

Nice video, WW. It shows Trump for what an ass he really is, while at the same time it portrays Hillary in a good light. I hope she wins.
      November 8, 2016 12:59 PM MST

Your question brings to mind an old show called Kids Say The Darndest Things.  The discussions on the thread seem to be focused on the intellectual capacity of children.  Asking them a question doesn't rise to the level of expecting them to be informed and thoughtful voters.  
      November 8, 2016 1:23 PM MST