Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » If your minor child thinks/thought you’re cruel for not allowing a particular privilege, do you/would you heed that?

If your minor child thinks/thought you’re cruel for not allowing a particular privilege, do you/would you heed that?

—~—

Posted - February 24, 2023

Responses

My formerly minor child would not have known what a privilege was. Anything that wasn't provided she seemed to realize was up to her to provide for herself. She really shocked me at 14 or 15 by getting an early AM newspaper delivery job without ever telling me she was applying for it. Next thing I know, she's behind the counter at a local bakery (saving me a loaf of my favorite bread), next she turns up in a Hess uniform at the local gas station. I can't think of a time since then that she hasn't been working for more than a few weeks.
      February 24, 2023 8:39 AM MST

February 24, 2023 8:42 AM MST

Age would certainly have bearing.  Basically, prior to critical thinking, mom is to be obeyed.  After eleven or so I found it easier and better to allow her to have a respectful response but I was still mom.  I let that turn around (with much worry) gradually as she made her way into what we consider maturity. 

I would not find it hard to make my child understand the meaning of cruelty using words of possibility.  Cruel would be allowing a child to do something which you felt carried too much danger. 
      February 24, 2023 12:11 PM MST

I don't think that I would, but I've always leaned towards coming from a place of 'why not?'. 

Both of my children still talk of their most dreaded "Mom" punishment from childhood, writing sentences. Very effective and in no way abusive. 
      March 10, 2023 6:07 PM MST