Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Education » Are participation trophies really a thing?

Are participation trophies really a thing?

This was inspired by the discussion of community service in this question: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/139919/if-i-were-to-lock-you-in-the-dungeon-and-make-you-homework-chall

When I was in high school, community service was a required course.  My parents never had it.  My husband, who is older than I am, never had it.  However, some older people associate people in my age group with participation trophies. I never got one, but then again, my friends and I just didn’t do participation.

I‘ve never even seen a participation trophy in real life.  Are those for real or are those just made up right-wing memes?

Posted - March 6, 2023

Responses

Yes, they are (or were) part of participating in the league. Parents pay a fee for their children to participate, which includes a shirt/jersey and a trophy upon completion of the season. In competitive leagues, the actual champions typically receive an additional award of sorts. Leagues also often have awards for things like MVP, team spirit, most improved, etc. Usually the parents chip in and purchase some kind of thank you award for the coaches, too. 

I'll never understand the anger some older people have about this, or why they think it's harmful for people to have mementos from their childhoods or be congratulated in some way for starting and completing an activity. I guess they're just jealous no one thought of it when they were kids or are cranky about getting old. 

March 7, 2023 8:50 PM MST

I'm an "older" person. I don't exactly get angry but it does disappoint me that someone even thought of such a thing as a participation "award" and that so many people buy into it. The whole thing wouldn't be an issue if it just had another type of acknowledgement like a participation badge or a participation pin.

I’m a proud
    Logo Design - Little turtle
    This post was edited by NYAD at March 8, 2023 6:42 PM MST
      March 8, 2023 12:18 PM MST

I suppose I am, too, hehe. Trophies, badges, medals, pins... all the same from my viewpoint. My eldest son kept score even when he was in leagues where they didn't keep score. He also always knew when he performed well and when he didn't. He was 5 when he started playing sports. 

Kids who grow up with participation trophies, medals, pins, etc. know whether or not they're MVP material and how well their teams did in competition. I stand by my assessment that this is yet another thing for some people of some generations to criticize younger people for. To me, they're just 'haters'. If they're really concerned, they should get involved and be a positive role model. 
      March 8, 2023 5:29 PM MST