Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Biden cutting Medicare. I thought that was just a Republican thing. Why do Dems always do what they accuse Rep of doing?

Biden cutting Medicare. I thought that was just a Republican thing. Why do Dems always do what they accuse Rep of doing?

https://archive.is/yK78R

Posted - April 3, 2023

Responses

Cutting? He just gave us an increase this year, of course the cost of living out grew that before it happened.  If you look at it that way, I guess you could say medicare was cut. 
      April 3, 2023 7:55 AM MDT

I am not talking about SS checks....Biden nor any other Pres gives the SS increase. It is tied directly to the Customer Price Index. Yes, inflation caused the highest COLA increase in history. But that is not a "credit" to Biden. 

He is cutting Medicare funding...not SS checks.
      April 3, 2023 11:41 AM MDT

Uh Oh, that means getting medical care might become more difficult.  There was a time doctors would not accept medicare patients.  I haven't run into that since I also have an additional HMO provider, but it is still basically medicare.
      April 3, 2023 12:52 PM MDT

That would be bad for most people. 
      April 3, 2023 2:13 PM MDT

As usual, you cherry-picked the part of the article that matched what you're claiming.  If you had read and understood the entire article, you would have seen this:

"Some of the policy changes are meant to address “discretionary coding that results in wasteful spending,” CMS Deputy Administrator Meena Seshamani said on the call."

If they hadn't done this, you would have complained that they were spending recklessly.  There's no pleasing you, is there?

April 3, 2023 8:40 AM MDT

Is the funding being cut...yes. The excuse is always stopping waste. It is 
    being cut 1.7% and that is less than Biden wanted to cut it...so I guess he is ok with some waste. Lol. 

You have not seen me complain about the debt...I stopped that under Obama. Neither party cares...so why should I?
      April 3, 2023 11:36 AM MDT

Unless I'm reading the article incorrectly, they are taking it out of Medicare proper and adding it to Medicare Advantage which is the supplemental insurance (Part C) which is still Medicare.
      April 3, 2023 1:03 PM MDT

Medicare Advantage plans are not supplemental plans. They are replacement plans for regular Medicare parts A and B, it is often referred to a Part C. But it works separately from A, B and D (if you have that)

They are cutting payments to Medicare Advantage (Part C) insurance providers.  

“The MA market is highly competitive and has seen rapid growth,” Chiquita Brooks-LaSure, administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said in a call with reporters. “Any reduction in benefits would be decisions made by companies, not because of CMS policies.”
    Insurers will now have to determine whether to maintain generous benefits that help attract customers, such as zero premiums, or protect their profit margins with more costly plans

This post was edited by my2cents at April 3, 2023 2:12 PM MDT
      April 3, 2023 2:07 PM MDT

Medicare Part C does not replace A and B.

"A Medicare Advantage is another way to get your Medicare Part A and Part B coverage. Medicare Advantage Plans, sometimes called "Part C" or "MA Plans," are offered by Medicare-approved private companies that must follow rules set by Medicare. If you join a Medicare Advantage Plan, you'll still have Medicare but you'll get most of your Part A and Part B coverage from your Medicare Advantage Plan, not Original Medicare. "

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-upchange-plans/types-of-medicare-health-plans/medicare-advantage-plans/how-do-medicare-advantage-plans-work
      April 3, 2023 2:48 PM MDT

They can word it how they want. But Med Adv plans have their own rules, depending on the plan. May have a deductible or just co-pay, their own max out of pocket, their own PPO network etc.  

Med A & B have no max out of pocket, no co pays, only pays 80% of covered services, has 
    no networks, I do not remember if there is a deductible or not.   
    Med Adv has to cover everything Reg A&B does but normally covers much more little to no more premium. 
    I help several family members with their Medicare plans. 
    This post was edited by my2cents at April 3, 2023 4:27 PM MDT
      April 3, 2023 4:24 PM MDT

Medicare advantage plans have to comply with Medicare rules even though they are private insurance companies.  The "little or no premium" is dependent upon income, so is regular Medicare.  I pay twice the minimum premium for Medicare.
      April 4, 2023 7:17 AM MDT

From reports I've read, Medicare fraud is one of the easiest crimes to commit.  Perhaps they are addressing that problem somehow.
      April 3, 2023 12:54 PM MDT

I am sure it is...any big gov program is. 

Med Advantage not as likely as the plans are administrated by smaller (than gov) insurance providers. 
      April 3, 2023 2:09 PM MDT

I'm not addressing the introduction to the actual question you asked.

I will answer though, that I hear and see Republicans always do what they accuse Democrats of doing.

It takes one to know one on both sides of that aisle.

EDIT: I'm sorry for my anger. I ma pissed off and had a rough series of days and I let loose. That's not fair to you, your question and the others who answered.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 3, 2023 7:00 PM MDT
      April 3, 2023 4:37 PM MDT