Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » To all who celebrate

To all who celebrate

Posted - April 5, 2023

Responses

April 5, 2023 6:37 PM MDT

Do you? We don't.
      April 5, 2023 7:30 PM MDT

We used to, but since two of my three sisters and all of their offspring married Christians, we don't.
      April 5, 2023 9:42 PM MDT

Well, we tried. There was a brand new "home made" bagel shop just opened on our route to my cardiologist. We thought it was a perfect time to stop and try it out. The shop isn't on a main street, it's on a side street in a tiny little strip mall so, I thought, it probably won't be there very long so we better try it now.

Unfortunately, we got there at 2 PM and they said that they were all sold out! Sold out!? At 2 PM?? Then we realized that the little strip mall was across the street from the Jewish Senior Apartments. They did give me a free coffee for stopping by. So it was a good Passover day and, I see another doctor on Friday.
      April 5, 2023 8:37 PM MDT

Bagels are not on the Passover menu. Read about unleavened bread in the Old Testament.
      April 5, 2023 10:40 PM MDT

Tell  that to the folks in the Jewish Senior Apartments. The shop proprietor said that they are the ones that cleaned them out.
      April 5, 2023 11:27 PM MDT

Hello N:

You've been corrected, and you STILL insist that you're right.  Jews simply ain't gonna buy bagels on Passover..  Please, stick with Easter!!

excon
      April 6, 2023 6:11 AM MDT

You mean that shop owner lied to me before giving me a free coffee? Well!!
      April 6, 2023 8:15 AM MDT

Hello again, N:

In order to serve your passive aggressiveness, you CLAIM that you're only reporting, so you can't be responsible for what you say..  To that, I say BUNK!

excon
      April 6, 2023 8:22 AM MDT

Whoo, bagel-fight.
      April 6, 2023 8:53 AM MDT

I really tried to come up with a suitable comeback. But every time I read your comment ending with "BUNK", over bagels yet. I couldn't stop laughing. It's more amusing than anything I can come up with.
      April 6, 2023 9:03 AM MDT

Not necessarily.  Jewish holidays begin at sundown, so it's possible that the Jewish people buying bagels was so they could eat them before sundown and/or freeze them so they would have them when Passover ends.  
      April 6, 2023 9:35 AM MDT

Well, I thank you for posting this topic. It was so sincere and respectful, who knew that it could go this far off the rails. (((Shh. I didn't mention it but my daughter who was there with me is half Jewish as are all her relatives on her father's side. They are modern people who celebrate as they see fit.))) I was only repeating what the shop owner told us. But she may have been wrong, it could have been the Greeks.
      April 6, 2023 10:03 AM MDT

LOL ... My family gets less Jewish by the year.  Two of my nieces married Christian men and their children have been baptized.  I'm not in the least religious, but I respect those who are.
      April 6, 2023 2:44 PM MDT

Yes necessarily. The rules of Passover require that the home be cleaned of chametz (non-kosher for Passover food), including bread, two days before the holiday and that one stop eating bread and such at midday the day before the holiday.

So no Jews observing the holiday would be buying or eating bagels the day on which it begins at sundown. And they certainly wouldn’t have them in their houses during the holiday.

You must not have been taught these things earlier in life. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at April 6, 2023 2:38 PM MDT
      April 6, 2023 12:27 PM MDT

My family was not very religious and certainly did not keep a Kosher home.  I gleaned certain facts through reading, etc. rather than from formal education.  My parents did not keep a Kosher home and my paternal grandparents would visit only on rate occasions and wouldn't eat anything.  The aunts and uncles on dad's side kept Kosher as they lived much closer to their parents.  
      April 6, 2023 2:41 PM MDT

Unless the place illegally discriminates by not admitting non-Jews, the people buying the bagels are non-Jews, non observant Jews, or both.
      April 6, 2023 6:43 AM MDT

I don't know. Those apartments have been there since the fifties (I went to middle school in that neighborhood). It also has a temple on the property. That's how we tell it from the Greek Orthodox church and apartments next door to it. Maybe it was the Greeks that cleaned out the bagel shop.
      April 6, 2023 7:59 AM MDT

But it’s illegal to restrict access to housing units based on religion, so you can’t assume all who live there are Jewish.

And we Jews generally refer to them as synagogues. Temple worship, which involved bloody, disgusting animal sacrifices as described in the Old Testament, disappeared with the destruction of the Second Temple in Jerusalem in 70 CE, or 70 AD to Christians.
      April 6, 2023 11:28 AM MDT

Well, I did some investigating. The sign in front of the house of worship nearest the bagel shop says, "Congregation..." as does another a mile or so down the road. About a half mile from the bagel shop, is the house of worship that I used to pass every day going and coming from middle school whose sign says, "Temple Israel". I guess that is how I thought of all Jewish houses of worship.

I don't remember my former in-laws or the family and friends ever having formal holiday celebrations. My ex-brother-in-law may, he and his wife seem to be very formal people. But they've lived in NJ for many decades, so I don't really know. This post was edited by NYAD at April 6, 2023 1:58 PM MDT
      April 6, 2023 1:45 PM MDT

The organization is a congregation named Temple Israel, which is a very popular name for Jewish congregations.

The people running it, the Board of Trustees, hire and pay a rabbi and other employees.

The building that the congregation occupies and usually owns is a synagogue, not a temple. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at April 6, 2023 2:02 PM MDT
      April 6, 2023 2:01 PM MDT

Finding three synagogues in such a small sector of the city is surprising. I didn't realize how close together they were. My in-laws lived lived within the area surrounded by the three I mentioned. On the other hand, the school that I attended in that neighborhood was a Catholic school and there was another Catholic school within that same area of town that those synagogues surrounded.
      April 6, 2023 5:18 PM MDT

There's an old Jewish joke that Jews can't agree on anything, so if there are, say, five Jews in a town, there will be six synagogues. One for each of them plus another that none of them would be caught dead attending.
      April 6, 2023 5:25 PM MDT