Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » I was scrolling through some of my old Facebook posts and came across this. It struck me as amusing.

I was scrolling through some of my old Facebook posts and came across this. It struck me as amusing.

I thought that it may also amuse some of you. (I'm tired of depressing topics on Answermug.)

Recent flashback: I was six when the Korean War (conflict actually, there was no war declared) began. Whenever my sister, brother, or myself asked our parents why we couldn't have... or why we didn't do... My father had a pat answer, "There's a war on!" Somewhere during this period, I learned to read. One day I was looking at the newspaper and on the front page, the headline read something like "Armistice Signed", "the war is over", so I was surprised when my father answered with the usual "There's a war on!" I decided that I'd better update him with the information in the newspaper. He was speechless. I don't know whether he was more shocked by my "back talk" or amazed by my knowledge, but he could never use that line again.

Posted - April 29, 2023

Responses

I think parents (or grandparents) might want to reconsider things they always tell the kids.  One of my grandmother-in-law’s pat sayings to my husband when he was a kid was “You should’ve thought about that sooner”.

One of the times we visited her at the nursing home, she said something and my husband automatically replied with “You should’ve thought about that sooner”.  His grandma yelled “I’m sorry I kept saying that when you were a kid!”.  My husband responded to that with “You should’ve thought about that sooner.”

Now I’m a little self conscious about what I always tell the kids.  Half of their DNA is my husband’s so I don’t want there to be something that I always say to come back and bite me when they’re adults.  I try very hard not to say dismissive things to the kids.

This post was edited by Livvie at April 30, 2023 4:52 PM MDT
      April 29, 2023 8:19 PM MDT

I also heard that saying a few times back when. Thank you for that memory and the words of wisdom!
      April 30, 2023 7:05 AM MDT

The pat answer, "because I said so" always works.
      April 29, 2023 9:25 PM MDT

Yes, I heard that one a few times myself. I wonder if I used it on my kids as well.
      April 30, 2023 7:07 AM MDT

My dad never used that one.  Instead, he always asked “Why, just because someone said so?”.  He always said “Just because somebody said so isn’t good enough.”.
      April 30, 2023 10:13 AM MDT