Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » What country has recently suspended elections, banned opposition parties, has forced military service, and is attacking freedom of religion?

What country has recently suspended elections, banned opposition parties, has forced military service, and is attacking freedom of religion?

Posted - July 15, 2023

Responses

Right after Trump's call to the new president of Ukraine Trump held back money that was already marked to go to Ukraine. And I'm sure he would of held it back indefinably if he could of. Trump also didn't meet with the new president - maybe if he did it would of showed Russia that the US supports Ukraine and they would of had second thoughts about invading it. Trump did say he would bomb Moscow  but they were just empty words because he was getting a rep of being soft on Putin. I really don't think the world wants to stop Russia in Ukraine because it is their favorite place to launder money. They want to stop Russia in Ukraine because they know what will happen if they don't. Cheers!

I don't think the world wants to stop Russia in Ukraine because 
      July 17, 2023 8:08 AM MDT

You may believe Trump threat to bomb Moscow was simply a bluff but fact is Putin invaded under the weakness of Biden and not the strength of Trump

Trump delayed the money for 2 reasons....

1.  Yes he wanted corruption addressed in Ukraine. (again this is were the world launders their money, and other atrocities happen there as well)
    2. Same as with NATO Trump believes the US should not be the only country fitting bulk of the bill.  And withholding it was a way of forcing other countries like Germany and other European countries to do their part as they are closer to the problem.
      July 17, 2023 8:59 AM MDT

Well what about when Trump said that they should put the flag of another Country on one of their fighter jets and bomb the Russian convoy? Was it a bluff to make Putin retreat? Or was it a punkie way of trying to prove that he wasn't soft on Russia and still be the apple of Putin's eye? Or was it a diabolical plan to get back at some of other leaders of the free world that he didn't like. Slap a German flag on a US fighter jet - bomb the convoy and start a war between Russia and Germany to teach Angela Merkel  a lesson for not agreeing with him about NATO. Or slap the flag of France on a US fighter jet - bomb the convoy and Va La - start World war 3.  Cheers!

This post was edited by Nanoose at July 17, 2023 10:35 AM MDT
      July 17, 2023 9:52 AM MDT

Whatever, I an old enough to remember  Trump was the toughest POTUS on Russia since Reagan.   

Trump did not start any wars and will not when he gets back in.  
      July 18, 2023 6:11 AM MDT

If you were the President of Ukraine, what would you do different and why?

I don’t know what I would do that would be that different from what Volodymyr Zelenskyy is doing if I were in his shoes.

Cancelled elections: How could safe, secure and fair elections be conducted in a war zone?  Yes, Russia, just drop a missile on the polling place on Election Day if it’ll help make things go your way.

Banning opposition parties:  If they’re pro-Russian parties, I’d want to ban them too.

Forced military service: That’s a tricky one.  I can see both sides, but if they don’t fight to defend their country, they won’t have a country.

Religious Freedom:  The line between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian state isn’t always that clear. This post was edited by Livvie at July 16, 2023 8:44 PM MDT
      July 16, 2023 9:50 AM MDT

If I was in his place, now, I would be doing same things.   That does not justify it

A democracy or republic does not suspended elections. Dictators do that. 
    A democracy/republic does not ban political parties that oppose them. 
    A democracy/republic does not violate freedom of religion.  
    Again dictatorships and tyrants do that. 

Compulsory military service is needed but it should be a draft. Young people should not be worried about going outside and being forced into the military.  

Given that these parties have support (over 40 elected officials from them) and that people are not wanting to support the country, and there are over 30M members of the ROC and UOC....perhaps instead of fighting and getting his citizens killed, he should let his citizens vote and see what they want.  (Can't do that with suspended elections though)

This country is dragging us into WWIII, Biden encouraged this BS. And Janet Yellen says Ukraine support is great for the global economy.....

July 16, 2023 8:02 PM MDT

Only, a republic can be either a democracy or a dictatorship.

It simply means it is not a monarchy - and a monarchy can be a democracy (Great Britain, Norway, Holland) or a dictatorship (Saudi Arabia, and in the way it acts though carefully avoids stating, North Korea.)

Germany, France and the USA are republics. So are Russia, China and Iran.
      July 17, 2023 7:29 AM MDT

No, a Republic cannot actually be a dictatorship.  As soon a the dictator takes over control the country/nation is no longer a republic regardless of the what they call themselves.   

A republic is a government of the people,  the people elect other people to represent them in the government.   And have a constitution that protects the minorities in the country.  (A democracy is simply majority rules or mob rule) 
      July 17, 2023 8:41 AM MDT

I didn’t find anything online about them attacking freedom of religion but I didn’t look that hard.  If they are, I’m guessing it involves the Russian Orthodox Church.
      July 16, 2023 9:38 AM MDT

Yes and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. 
      July 16, 2023 9:56 AM MDT