Discussion » Questions » Politics » Did you hear that secret documents weren't the only things that Trump took from the WH that didn't belong to him?

Did you hear that secret documents weren't the only things that Trump took from the WH that didn't belong to him?

Israel has discovered that a set of ancient pottery lamps that it lent to the White House for a temporary exhibit in 2019, and which it has been trying to recover, ended up in Mar-a-Lago. Might not seem like a big deal but pretty sure Trump will claim he had the right to take them and he will do what ever he can to keep them and not give them back to Israel. Trump has been called a lot of things but now maybe we can add Kleptomaniac to the list. Cheers!

Posted - July 18, 2023

Responses

I did hear that and it doesn't surprise me in the least.
      July 19, 2023 7:39 AM MDT

I was thinking if Trump doubles down on having Israel's ancient pottery lamps he might say he had every right to take them. He might even say he even had the right to use the lamps if he wanted and he could of lighted the lamps with his mind if he wanted to (like he said he could declassify documents with his mind). Cheers! 
      July 19, 2023 7:46 AM MDT

I'm sure he mentally changed the ownership of those lamps from Israel to himself.  
      July 19, 2023 8:43 AM MDT

Yep and then he sent Israel a bill for shipping and handling - with his mind. Cheers!
      July 19, 2023 9:16 AM MDT

I hope he didn't gold plate them to match the rest of his decor.
      July 19, 2023 9:28 AM MDT

He is a bit on the gaudy side for sure, an old Fashioned style my opinion.  The Egyptian Pharos and the Roman's as well had a style that was fabulous.  From the floor tiles, color schemes, wall art, gold and simple furniture...all together was an amazing thing for their time. 

This post was edited by . at July 19, 2023 9:41 AM MDT
      July 19, 2023 9:33 AM MDT

He probably didn't but maybe he still sent Israel a bill for the gilding - with his mind. Cheers This post was edited by Nanoose at July 19, 2023 10:13 AM MDT
      July 19, 2023 10:07 AM MDT

I hear about it and am surprised. 
      July 19, 2023 9:31 AM MDT

Likely packed by WH staff. No one believes Trump packed his own stuff. I am certain they will get it back.  
      July 20, 2023 6:21 AM MDT

I am certain that Trump has already wrote a letter of apology for the mix up about the lamps and promised their swift return. Then he sent the letter to Israel - with his mind. 

It has only been a week or so since the news about the lamps surfaced. But I bet in the past year Trump has received  a few letters from Israel asking for the return of the lamps. But it is likely he just ignored them like he ignored all the letters from the National Archives asking for the return of their documents. Cheers!
      July 20, 2023 8:53 AM MDT

Israeli Antiquities Authority director Israel Hasson claimed that global events intervened in the snafu.

“We wanted our man to go and bring it back, but then COVID broke out, and everything got stuck,” he told Haaretz, adding that the authority did not want to risk damaging the antiques by having them sent back on a regular passenger flight or by overseas courier.

In the interim, Hasson said, he asked Saul Fox, a prominent Jewish American donor to the Antiquities Authority, to keep the lamps in his possession until they could be returned.

Israel does not want them shipped.  Why Mr Fox does not have them...I don't know. ..
    Presidential Papers are the President's.  Not NARA's. AND despite what the MSM reports Trump was not ignoring them. He was negotiating with them.  
    If I was a betting person, I would bet every paper he wanted to keep a copy of was related to the lies they tell about him. Proof of their lies....which is of course why they do not want him to have his copies.

July 20, 2023 10:37 AM MDT

Maybe MR. Fox doesn't  have the lamps in his possession because Mr. Trump ignored his request to pick them up. Pretty sure Presidential Papers do not belong to the President's if they did the FBI would not of got a legal warrant to retrieve them. Some of those documents were top secret so I don't think they were copies. Cheers!
      July 20, 2023 11:04 AM MDT

Read the ruling from the Clinton Socks case.  Judge was very clear.   Presidents have complete power of what is and is not classified and the NARA has NO power to demand anything back from the Presidents that they have determined to be personal documents that there is NO criminal punishment applied to the records act. 

This basically the DOJ being used to intimidate an active Presidential candidate to drop out of the race.  It is election interference. And FBI has a long history of it. 
      July 20, 2023 11:33 AM MDT

July 20, 2023 11:36 AM MDT

I read the Judges ruling about the Presidential Records Act in the Clinton Socks Case (Judical Watch vs NARA), she was very clear. 
      July 20, 2023 11:55 AM MDT

NOT THE SAME THING!! That ruling related to tapes created by Clinton, not to official presidential papers. Personally,  I'm  not sure I agree with the ruling, but it has no bearing on Trump's case since it does not relate to personal papers created by Trump. Read the actual PRA and compare it to the ruling, don't just believe what you hear on right wing media. Just what do you think the presidential records act is for? Think about it.

https://casetext.com/case/judicial-watch-inc-v-natl-archives-records-admin
      July 20, 2023 12:08 PM MDT

They were classified recordings.  All recordings of a President speak on the phone directly to other leaders of different nations are considered classified until they are unclassified.  Clinton by taking them to his residence thereby declaring them as personal property. 

You can disagree. But that is the ruling and it is solid precident for over 10 yrs. 
      July 20, 2023 1:34 PM MDT

I read some of that act and I think I found a part that will show that Trump lies (but it will take 10 more years to prove it). In the Presidential Records Act (PRA) section it says that information about sensitive documents handled by the president will be made public after 12 years of the precedent leaving office and there are links to check it out. Bet in 10 years when people check out Trump's link they will find no records of him declassifying the records he claimed he declassified not even the ones he claimed he could declassify - with his mind. Cheers!     
      July 20, 2023 12:12 PM MDT

His lawyers asked for more time so that they could get Security clearance in order to review the documents. If the documents are already declassified,  why do they need a security clearance? It's puzzling.
      July 20, 2023 1:20 PM MDT

Well maybe for National security they only asked for more time so they could find out if the documents Trump declassified - with his mind were in fact declassified. Or it could of just  been a delaying tactic. I am pretty sure Trump will use delaying tactics to hold onto the lamps. Maybe Trump will rub the lamp and make a wish that everybody loved him and poof he turns into a Oscar Mayer Wiener. Cheers!
      July 20, 2023 3:22 PM MDT

FIOA requests begin 5 yrs after leaving office...not 12.
      July 20, 2023 1:39 PM MDT