Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why would Trump only say he received one warrant when he actually received 8?

Why would Trump only say he received one warrant when he actually received 8?

The existence of one of those warrants was already known because it was executed on Trump's estate last year and he announced that it happened on his social media website. 

The seven other search warrants don't necessarily mean the FBI agents and the Justice Department officials searched seven other physical locations. The additional search warrants could have been for storage facilities, other parts of the Mar-a-Lago property, phones, tablets, computers, databases or digital accounts.

But they were still warrants and it seems funny Trump never posted anything about them (funny strange not funny ha ha). Cheers!

Posted - July 25, 2023

Responses

Why did they have to ask permission to give the warrants to Trump's attorneys? If they need permission then either Trump did not know or was legally forbidden to announce them publicly. 

Prosecutors filed a motion last month with the federal court overseeing the case, requesting permission to disclose the warrants and accompanying documents to the legal teams representing Trump and his aide Walt Nauta as part of disclosure requirements now that both men have been charged. 
      July 26, 2023 5:34 AM MDT

If you had done just three minutes of research, you would have found the answer to your question.

"Federal prosecutors investigating former President Donald Trump asked a judge Monday not to unseal a key document related to the FBI’s search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home, saying it contains “highly sensitive information” that could compromise the national security probe.

The affidavit contains “critically important and detailed investigative facts,” they argued in the filing, which was signed by Jay Bratt, head of the Counterintelligence and Export Control Section of the DOJ’s National Security Division.

Those facts include “highly sensitive information about witnesses, including witnesses interviewed by the government; specific investigative techniques; and information required by law to be kept under seal” in accordance with the federal rules, the prosecutors wrote.

“If disclosed, the affidavit would serve as a roadmap to the government’s ongoing investigation, providing specific details about its direction and likely course, in a manner that is highly likely to compromise future investigative steps,” the filing said.

“In addition, information about witnesses is particularly sensitive given the high-profile nature of this matter and the risk that the revelation of witness identities would impact their willingness to cooperate with the investigation,” the prosecutors wrote.

They also said they considered whether to release a heavily-redacted version of the affidavit, but concluded that “the redactions necessary to mitigate harms to the integrity of the investigation would be so extensive as to render the remaining unsealed text devoid of meaningful content.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/15/doj-says-trump-mar-a-lago-search-warrant-affidavit-should-stay-sealed.html

July 26, 2023 6:00 AM MDT

If a warrant was served, then Trump and his attorneys should already have access to it.... The purpose of a warrant it to inform the accused of what law enforcement is looking for.....it should not be legally allowed to be sealed from the accused. 

Sealed warrent is sealed to the public not the accused/defendant. This post was edited by my2cents at July 26, 2023 6:54 AM MDT
      July 26, 2023 6:49 AM MDT

Per your earlier comment:  "requesting permission to disclose the warrants and accompanying documents to the legal teams representing Trump and his aide Walt Nauta."  

It appears that the legal teams had not been privy to the warrants and accompanying documents.  If I recall, there were attorneys on their legal teams that did not have the security clearance to see the information regarding national security.  Are you suggesting that any Tom, Dick or Harry should be able to view documents that are classified?
      July 26, 2023 7:33 AM MDT

It's normal procedure to seal a search warrant until prosecutors ask for it to be unsealed. Nothing unusual going on.
      July 26, 2023 6:20 AM MDT

Sealed to the PUBLIC is normal. 

Getting permission to show the warrant to the defendant  does not sound like normal procedure.  Warrents should be disclosed when they are acted upon....they should not need the judges permission to unseal to the defendant. 
      July 26, 2023 6:51 AM MDT

You really need to do some research on this topic. You are clearly confusing your own personal opinion of what should happen, with what the legal procedure really is. Sealed is sealed to everyone, for starters. And part of the reason for sealing is to protect the defendant's right to a fair trial. The defendant would be told when and where the search will take place. The probable cause is not disclosed until it is unsealed. The defendant will get the information during the pre trial discovery process unless it is unsealed sooner. If you have more questions,  look it up. I'm not doing research for you.
      July 26, 2023 8:30 AM MDT

Too often, personal opinion is substituted for actual facts or they are conflated to lean towards the personal opinion of the commenter.
      July 26, 2023 8:39 AM MDT

AS YOU just said....defendant will get the information during discovery.....they do not need permission from the judge to give the defendant the information.  They are REQUIRED to give the defendant the information.  
      July 26, 2023 1:50 PM MDT

I'm not a legal expert and I don't know why they have to ask permission to unseal the warrant. I could give an opinion, but that would serve no purpose. I'm sure you could find out, if it's important to you.  This post was edited by Jane S at July 26, 2023 5:19 PM MDT
      July 26, 2023 4:13 PM MDT

It's not clear (to me, anyway) that the warrants were served on Trump, or whether they were just connected to his case. Since search warrants are sealed to protect the investigation, he may not have known about them. I expect we'll know more soon.
      July 26, 2023 6:17 AM MDT