Discussion » Questions » Legal » Is the old "I averted a nuclear holocaust' a good defense in a civil fraud case?

Is the old "I averted a nuclear holocaust' a good defense in a civil fraud case?

During his 7 hour long deposition Donald J Trump said/demanded  that the trial should be shut down. Then he went on a rant about how unfair the trial is and how he saved millions of life's by averting a nuclear war. Pretty sure if he tries to use that defense in court it will bomb.

Cheers and happy week end!

Posted - September 1, 2023

Responses

With each such comment, he makes his madness more apparent.  No, I don't think that would be a valid defense and if his attorneys use it, they should be disbarred.
      September 1, 2023 2:12 PM MDT

Yeah he made a lot of crazy comments like the reason he inflated his net worth by billions was because of his name - it was like the Mona Liza. I think he also made a lot of lies which will come back to bite him in court like John Singleton's painting - Watson and the shark. Cheers and happy weekend!

September 1, 2023 3:27 PM MDT

Can you imagine what it must have been like to have to sit and listen to him drone on for seven hours?  I would have shot myself.
      September 2, 2023 12:14 PM MDT

They say every question he answered averaged 8 minutes long - even if it was a simple yes or no question. What I am now hoping is that if there is a hell all of his enablers  and all of the people that pushed his big lie have to  spend an eternity listening to him drown and whine. Cheers and happy weekend!
      September 2, 2023 12:34 PM MDT

I think that would be a fitting punishment.  Happy weekend!
      September 3, 2023 9:37 AM MDT

I gave it a bit more thought and now I think it wouldn't be a fitting punishment. A fitting punishment would be them spending an eternity listening to Trump and the My Pillow guy drown and whine. Cheers!
      September 3, 2023 9:44 AM MDT

Even better, but I'd settle for one as opposed to neither.
      September 3, 2023 9:51 AM MDT

He should also have mentioned that he was the one who almost caused that nuclear disaster. That kept him busy as well. I wonder if he could be charged with perjury for saying under oath that all his friends say he is the most honest person in the world. First of all, does he really have any friends? Sociopaths only have victims and accomplices. 
      September 1, 2023 5:46 PM MDT

North Korea continued to test missals while he was saying things like he will destroy North Korea. And North Korea continued to test missals while he was sending love letters to Kim - so he actually stopped nothing. But thanks to Trump's blind eye  North Korea built a lot of centrifuges to enrich uranium. And it was said that they were working on subs that could carry and launch nukes that could hit any target in North America. And that was all on Trump's watch. Cheers and happy weekend!
      September 1, 2023 6:25 PM MDT

What do you mean by in court?

A deposition is akin to sworn testimony, the main difference being that it is usually done in a conference room at a law office without judge and jury instead of at a courthouse.

It is admissible and often used in a court proceeding.
      September 2, 2023 1:49 PM MDT

September 2, 2023 6:03 PM MDT

Sorry, not. He was talking about court as if it’s a separate thing, completely different from a deposition.

People don’t always understand what they are talking about. I consider helping them a public service, not nitpicking at all.
      September 2, 2023 6:55 PM MDT

No I wasn't - I said the things he said in the deposition will come back to bite him when it gets to the trial.
      September 2, 2023 7:25 PM MDT

I think you took his comment too literally.  I think he meant that the lies he told in his deposition would come back to haunt him when he is actually tried in court.
      September 3, 2023 9:54 AM MDT

Quite possibly.
      September 3, 2023 12:10 PM MDT

He damned near CAUSED a nuclear war, and Iran is one hell of a lot closer to producing a nuclear weapon (if they haven't already) than they would have been if the Obama administration's policy had been continued.
      September 3, 2023 6:06 AM MDT