Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » Is having a cat worth it?

Is having a cat worth it?

Posted - November 8, 2023

Responses

Depends how much you like pussy.

In the Caribbean, it’s singular or plural mon.

November 9, 2023 8:32 PM MST

I've always been a dog person but now have three cats with interesting backstories.  

They are very different in temperament, I think it's worth it, I love all animals and now I love cats as well.  The oldest is the talker, a male and the alpha of the three.  I was sitting on my front steps one day and he came up and sat next to me and began talking. Happened to have my phone and was lucky enough to capture the entire conversation on video. He must have talked for two minutes, I guess telling me all about his feral life.  The dogs across the street began barking and he had a lot to say about that, I fell in love with him at that moment.  The next day he came back and did the same thing but a shorter stay.  I fed him and he was mine. He is older now and has slowed down a lot.  

The next female I captured as part of a trap and release program.  The vet fixed her and told me she had just given birth.  She was back on the street the next morning and found her kittens.  The neighbors said she gave birth every year in a run down shed.  Feeding her every day insured she stayed around.  Eventually I found her kittens, when they were ready, placed them in an adoption center.  She is my stalker always wanting to be held and petted, follows me everywhere, doesn't have any interest in leaving the house.

The final female was born at a nearby racetrack. She would rather be outside, will go on long walks with me on a nearby trail and will stay fairly close, is the baby of the family (2 years old).  Has a sweet personality, I trained her to stay in our immediate area and check on her several times a day. She knows I just want to know where she is at and will pop her head out of the bushes when I call her then goes back to doing what she loves best, exploring in the tall grass and bushes. 

The Talker and the stalker are jealous of each other, if I give one lovies the other has to have lovies as well.  They both vie for the closest position to me in the bed at night and they run off the other female, po baby :  ( . Love them all, do wish I had a dog as well.  
    This post was edited by . at August 15, 2024 2:53 AM MDT
      November 11, 2023 7:25 PM MST

No. Cats are EVIL bastards. If they had opposable thumbs, they'd wipe us out.
    I still have the scars on my hands and wrists where my daughter's cat tried to kill me. He was nicknamed "Murder Mittens" after that.
      August 15, 2024 2:17 AM MDT

Some of them have opposable thumbs ????  They’re called “Hemingway cats”.
      August 16, 2024 12:31 PM MDT

Only if you plan to eat it. 

Must be painful for them
      August 15, 2024 2:19 AM MDT