Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Man who decapitated the Satan statue charged with a hate crime. Is hating Satan a crime?

Man who decapitated the Satan statue charged with a hate crime. Is hating Satan a crime?

Posted - January 31

Responses

I get from where you come, I believe. I looked up a story about it when I saw your question and I sort of get the hate crime charge.
    Based on what I read, the statue was part of a public display in the USA. The statue was part of a display produced by a man who follows the religion of Satanism. The man charged admitted that he attacked the statue because of that man's religion, i.e., attacking the display because of someone's religious beliefs.
    And with Freedom of Religion part of USA's makeup, I sort of get the charge.

I'm no legal expert, though.
      February 1, 2024 6:07 PM MST

I have no problem saying I hate Satan and Satanism. And a statue of Satan does not belong in any gov building.
      February 1, 2024 6:36 PM MST

The story I had read had mentioned it was only up during the holidays:

"It had been allowed in Iowa's statehouse under rules that permit religious installations for two weeks during the holidays."

In this specific case in this statehouse, I'm thinking all religions needed to be accepted if religious installations were allowed for two weeks during the holidays and freedom of religion is part of the country.

February 2, 2024 6:10 AM MST

Sure real religions...Christianity,  Judaism, Islam, Buddhist, Hindu,  etc. 

Satanism is not a religion it is people getting together to reject religion. 
    "Members say they don't actually believe in a literal Lucifer or Hell. Instead, they say Satan is a metaphor for questioning authority, and grounding your beliefs in science. The sense of community around these shared values makes it a religion, they say."   https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65549975
      February 2, 2024 5:50 PM MST

I couldn't find where he was charged with anything but criminal mischief,  not a hate crime, but I'll take your word for it. The government should not be deciding what religions are acceptable - that is unconstitutional.That said, neither this statue nor the Nativity display next to it, have any place in government building. 
      February 1, 2024 8:05 PM MST

Yeah, I understand,
    The story I read had said this statehouse allows religious installations for two weeks during the holidays.
    And with freedom of religion, I'd think they'd need to be open to all possibilities.  This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 2, 2024 9:45 PM MST
      February 2, 2024 6:13 AM MST

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-destroyed-satanic-temple-altar-iowa-charged-hate-crime-law-rcna136688

W
    ould the Satanist be charged with the hate crime if they damaged the nativity? This post was edited by my2cents at February 2, 2024 9:45 PM MST
      February 2, 2024 5:54 PM MST

Thanks, I didn't see that article. I read another article by NBC news that quotes the prosecutor, who says the man made statements indicating that he destroyed the statue because of the victim's religion. If someone destroyed the Nativity because it was a Christian symbol, that would be a hate crime under Iowa law.  I was confused about how a group that does not believe in God or gods can be a religion,  so I did some research.  Apparently,  religions like Buddhism, which is acknowledged as one of the world's major religions, do not believe in a deity.  This post was edited by Jane S at February 4, 2024 11:10 AM MST
      February 2, 2024 7:47 PM MST

Buddhism does have deities...many not just one. But not a creator one. 

To be a religion,  you have to be worshipping something....not just rejecting the worship of something. 
      February 3, 2024 4:32 AM MST

That's what I used to think. But there are non-theoist religions. Buddhists do not worship gods. I know you will post a comeback, but I have nothing further to say as I have no desire to discuss this, nor am I conceding the point.
      February 3, 2024 9:03 AM MST

They do have gods in their religion.  They have many statues of them in their monasteries (?).

Does not matter the point is they are worshiping something....whether it is a tree, a human or a deity and that worship causes them to change their behavior.  This makes it a religion.   

Not simply a group of people rejecting a religion(s). This post was edited by my2cents at February 3, 2024 10:28 AM MST
      February 3, 2024 9:38 AM MST

No, but satanist have always claimed to deserve the same consideration as any other religion.  
      February 2, 2024 9:14 AM MST

It is not a religion, it is a group of people getting together to reject religion...not the same as a religion. 
      February 2, 2024 5:55 PM MST

Not to what I refer.  Satanism is a religion which worships Satan.  The U.S. government recognizes it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65549975

Hating is never the crime; action resulting from that hatred often is.  Certain groups have protected status and must not be harmed due to hate.  If someone destroyed a statue that was the property of someone else, yes, he/she broke a law.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 3, 2024 5:31 PM MST
      February 3, 2024 5:26 PM MST

The members of the "Church of Satan" do not claim to worship Satan or even to believe in his existance....from the same article you linked:

"Members say they don't actually believe in a literal Lucifer or Hell. Instead, they say Satan is a metaphor for questioning authority, and grounding your beliefs in science. The sense of community around these shared values makes it a religion, they say."   https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65549975

Yes the man did break a law, no question there. But he was charged with  a hate crime.  It was not a hate crime. 
      February 4, 2024 2:43 PM MST

The Satanic Temple has the same protections under the constitution as any other religion and are recognized as a religion by the IRS as well.  Destroying a church's property due to hate is likely to be considered a hate crime.   This thread includes personal opinions about the subject but my answer looks at it legally. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 5, 2024 3:04 PM MST
      February 5, 2024 10:52 AM MST